Clams - my new obssession

hlem

Thanks Steve at Incredible Coral for the Gold Maxima and Richard at ERC for the Corceas

Gold Maxima

IMG_6967.JPG

Gold with teal rim

IMG_6981.JPG

Teal/blue

IMG_6988.JPG

Black with teal rim

IMG_6989.JPG

Teal, but hard to get its true color for some reason

IMG_6990.JPG

Tear drop

IMG_6987.JPG

Those are great pics of some beautiful clams, especially the teal rims.

(edited)

Dude....do you think ya went a bit clam crazy?

obsession and crazy are two different things.... okay??? :cool:

Edited by hlem

ive also been clam nuts lately....big maxima/squammie fan...just need to get the new tank running for more space

That gold is stunning - is that the one that just came in (suprised not to see the blue from the orig pic guessing cause of the flash)

teardrop is great too

i still wanna see who got the zebra b&W

you seen this guy yet? yeh thats red and no its not mine unfortunately

154907_3614748466295_783784660_n.jpg

Edited by Der ABT

ive also been clam nuts lately....big maxima/squammie fan...just need to get the new tank running for more space

That gold is stunning - is that the one that just came in (suprised not to see the blue from the orig pic guessing cause of the flash)

teardrop is great too

i still wanna see who got the zebra b&W

you seen this guy yet? yeh thats red and no its not mine unfortunately

Are you talking about the Ultra Golds that we have for sale?

The gold that that Hlem has at the top was from our first ORA order (1.5" ORA Gold for $35) and is a standard gold not the ultra gold. The ultra golds we have look way better than the pictures I posted and do have the blue in the center of them. However, I'm still a big fan of the standard gold maximas espeically for $35 they are a steal!!!

oh man thats just a regular gold....i know what im ordering next time haha...

yeh that first pic of the ultra...if i had paid attention and remembered they came in it wouldbe mine hopefully you get some more in when i get back from FLA/having a second child....too much to do not enough time...i swear i had two weeks not 1.

oh man thats just a regular gold....i know what im ordering next time haha...

yeh that first pic of the ultra...if i had paid attention and remembered they came in it wouldbe mine hopefully you get some more in when i get back from FLA/having a second child....too much to do not enough time...i swear i had two weeks not 1.

Still have two of the ultra golds left and they look sweet!

I'm fine with standard gold :). Got any standard black maxima, Steve?

1 left. PM me if interested ;)

I am also obsessed with clams but I have never seen a 1.5" clam survive in a display tank.

Are you guys actually able to grow these little clams? I have never had anything under 3" survive more than 6 months.

Past experience tells me not to buy clams smaller than 4-5" as they have higher mortality rates. Way back in '92, we were ordering 100 lots of 2" clams and while they sold quickly, they often times died just as quickly.

I bought a 1.5" clam about 5 months ago and he is doing great so far. But I do prefer the larger clams so my next one I buy will be around 4".

Most of our tanks are to clean for small clams under about 1.5". They cannot rely solely on photosynthesis at this stage of development and target feeding would have to be nearly continuous.

http://www.advanceda.../2010/7/inverts

That's an article about Tridacnid Clams I remembered reading in the last year. At some point towards the end of the article, the author talks about the "3" myth" regarding survivability of smaller clams.

No idea on validity but it was an interesting article at any rate. Enjoy :)

Edit:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/2/inverts

Meant to include that article too. Talks some about needing fish to have enough stuff to keep clams alive and well. Also interesting.

Edited by CaptainRon