New EcoPico build

smallreef

So, ordered my new 5g EcoPico today! I also got 2 extra LED strips with the 3 way splitter so I should have enough light for my Maxi Minis to go in this tank.

My ideas as far as stock are to move my 3 Maxi-Minis, my blue clove polyps, and add some new zoas.

I am moving my Green clown goby over and thinking of adding either 3 new sexy shrimp or a pistol shrimp/goby pair or reef lobster?

There is a tiny pump/filter (has a tiny piece of foam in it up in the right hand corner... the little filter box could hold carbon if needed), and I could put a small bag of chemipure in the corner in an emergency.. but with only 1 fish and mainly soft corals I dont think Ill have a big problem...

Im thinking that will be it... it does have a glass top so that will cut down on evap.. and I dont have it as high as I will as I have 2 pieces of rock to move into it, the one with my orange maxi-minis on it and possibly the one rock with my purple maxi mini too....

I did put my 4 acans in it and then Ill move the anemones and my kenya tree forest in tomorrow with the clown goby, so Im thinking when I feed my large tank a cube of jans food i'll feed this pico a teeny tiny bit of it..

Also I put in one of my tiny new blue legged hermits and will put in 2 of the tiny ceriths also for my clean up crew.

So do you just do a small water change weekly and keep up with topping it off?

That's all I do with my 8g.

I actually change 50% of mine each week to control algae growth. I know some with picos that change 100% of their water weekly. Works very well.

To the OP - when you see algae - remove it. Don't rely on your CUC to take care of it. It can get out of hand quickly in such a small tank.

Good luck with it!

Edited by Orion

No, cause your leaving he live rock and sand where most of the bacteria a living... I dont do it cause im afraid to kill something, lol

Ill probably do a 50% WC once a month... depends on if I need to feed the corals more than the 2 days a week...

Pico11413_zps2c0dbec6.jpg

Here is the basics finished...

Found another sexy shrimp still left, except it jumped off when I was moving the rock into the pico :( so now I have to try and save him and move him to the new tank

Also, my clown goby is apparently as smart as those tomato clowns at Incredible Corals as he knows exactly how and when tohide from me trying to catch him and move him too.

So the only things in the Pico are 1 sexy shrimp and 2 tiny hermit crabs along with my acans, 3 maximinis, blue clove polyps, and kenya tree forrest

Just finished putting those rocks in and wanted to make sure I didnt go over.. it will be a bit higher... at the base of the lights

Also ordered a powerhead, the Hydor Pico... there needs to be more flow in here, the kenya trees are mad...

also ordered a Azoo HOB its tiny but If i need to do carbon or chemi pure for any reason Id rather have it on hand than not...

Makes sense! You can raise it above the base of the lights, they've got the rubber covers on the legs to protect them. I have the water level in mine set to about half an inch below the top. What size Hydor? I added the zoo med micro pump but I'm not too happy with it. I was thinking about a koralia nano, but I'm interested to see what you think of the hydor.

Its the hydor 180..it should be fine..the korallia nano is WAY to big..i have one in my 50g...

The only other option (still seemed to large) was the biocube powerhead or aqueon 500..both seem to large for this small of a tank

• 3 months later...

Whelp...here's an updated photo, not much has changed other than I gave up putting in anymore sexy shrimp as the one left in the tank likes to eat their heads... I did add 2 peppermint shrimps, hoping they are big enough to stay away,lol

post-2633031-0-62159900-1368038718_thumb.jpg

post-2633031-0-03984100-1368038728_thumb.jpg