Help with overflow

jamesbuf

Howdy Wamas-ers!!! Long time no talk.

I'm finally a homeowner and setting up the 3'X3' 150 gal cube tank I got from Steve a year or so back. The tank here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/39346-steveoutlaws-150g-cube/page__hl__%2B150+%2Bcube

The tanks is going agaisnt a wall with a utility room behind it, so I'm going to drill the tank and run through the wall.

My question is where can I get a quality overflow?? I used a glassholes.com overflow for my 60 gal cube and it was loud as helll. I'd like to do a Bean overflow but I'm having trouble finding someone who will make me an overflow for the inside. Being that the house is mine and I'm no longer renting, i'd like to have as many backups as possible, having a Bean overflow looks to be the safest bet.

Any help is much appreciated everyone!!

Drill the back with 3 holes like DerAbt is on his 156 build. You could have Adam from advanced acrylic fabricate a box for you to fit inside and do a coast to coast internal.

Easiest way to get the bean animal. Or u could do the Herbie the same way but only with 2 holes.

Sup bro. Been a long time. Hope all is well and hapoy. Hit me up when your tank is ready. I owe you some stuff if I can remember.

Thanks guys. Its feeling good to be back. I've had my 60gal cube this whole time, just finally have the house to start the 150gal. I told myself I wouldn't set it up until I'm making mortgage payments. FINALLY have my own home!!!

So after reading around, I'm definitely doing a Bean overflow. I think its worth the extra plumbing to have the extra safety feature in the second siphon drain. Still some questions for you guys. I want to use a Sea Swirl to return the water back to the tank, so I don't want a coast to coast overflow. Going with a 18" or a 24" overflow box. I think the 18" will be sufficient for drilling 3 holes. I'm going to drill the holes 4-4.5" down from tank rim, but how far apart should each hole be drilled from each other. I was thinking 3" apart should be sufficiently stable since the glass is 3/4" thick. Is there a rule of thumb to be followed when drilling tanks for this?? I've never seen one. If 3" apart is good, then I'm probably going to go with the 18" overflow box.

Good to see all the same folks are hanging out here. Look forward to catching up with everyone!!! Its been a whiiiiiiiile!!!

Sup bro. Been a long time. Hope all is well and hapoy. Hit me up when your tank is ready. I owe you some stuff if I can remember.

yeah bro, all is well. Bought a house last August and got married in November. Life is good! Its been so long, can't even remember who might owe me what. Once the tank is ready, I'll gladly make a trip out to VA and snag whatever you're offering though :laugh: