Pic of MR5 hooked up?

Djplus1

Does anyone have a pic of how they have their MR5 reactor set up? I've had mine for a few months, but haven't had time to hook it up. I built the DIY version and I have a Cobalt MJ1200 for it. I just want to know exactly how to set up the in and out hoses to the pump/sump. And bonus points for whoever can show me the best way to run ROX .8 in it in pic form preferably.

Water input goes into the center hole of the reactor so it goes to the bottom and flows up in the reactor. For carbon put the media plate on the bottom, sponge, carbon, sponge, media plate. Put the lower media plate above the output holes in the bottom of the center tube.

Water input goes into the center hole of the reactor so it goes to the bottom and flows up in the reactor. For carbon put the media plate on the bottom, sponge, carbon, sponge, media plate. Put the lower media plate above the output holes in the bottom of the center tube.

So I just hook the line to the MJ1200 in the sump to the center hole and have the other line goes back into the sump, right. The pump should sit fine in the sump by itself, right? It's not gonna start moving around or anything, correct?

So I just hook the line to the MJ1200 in the sump to the center hole and have the other line goes back into the sump, right. The pump should sit fine in the sump by itself, right? It's not gonna start moving around or anything, correct?

Yes, just put the pump in the bottom of the sump, just make sure you put it in a place where it won't be in alot of bubbles. It may move a little bit with the flow going thru the sump but will be fine. I would put the MJ1200 alongside the return pump and put the return from the reactor into the first chamber where water comes down from the tank. One thing I did with my MR5 was on the output which is straight up on mine, it was creating a kink in the tubing so I put a 45dg SCH40 fitting over the tubing to help keep it from kinking.

If you use rox 0.8, you may want to put it in a micron bag and put that in the reactor. Rox is very small stuff and can escape just about any container except ~500 micron bags. Otherwise everything above sounds good.

There are actually quite a few user videos on youtube of mr5's in action. If you are running rox it might be worth while trying to reverse the input and output lines. I think this would give a nice gentle flow that would have the best chance at keeping the media contained.

• 2 weeks later...

There are actually quite a few user videos on youtube of mr5's in action. If you are running rox it might be worth while trying to reverse the input and output lines. I think this would give a nice gentle flow that would have the best chance at keeping the media contained.

if I try this, I assume that I won't be an issue just to switch back and forth to see what works better, right?