55 gallon help

YHSublime

So I've started a 14 gallon biocube nano, and I'm in love with saltwater. I've been bit by the bug. Forget freshwater, what took me so long! I have a bunch of rock that's not live. and a 55 gallon freshwater that I'm running. I've read that 55 gallons are not good for saltwater, but can somebody tell me why? Is it because they are so skinny? I would need to change my lighting, obviously get rid of my stock in there, but would I be able to use a canister filter with live rock or filter like I am now, or would I have to drill it and run a sump?

Just want to get some thoughts and opinions from the experts out there!

55 can be used for saltwater too! it's a preferences for others since it's not deep (Width) enough for aquascaping.

Edited by flooddc

55 is fine...it s what most of us start with. The problem is that is gets full so fast, you'll find yourself wishing you'd done a 75 or a 90. This is my actual story, in fact.

However, since you own the 55, that's a powerful incentive, and if you plan carefully anything you buy for the 55 will fit the larger 48" (75 or 90g) tank when you upgrade next year :rolleyes:

Thx and good luck

SPS mostly. I don't think i would have trouble aquascaping. Could I use my canister, or would I have to drill? My only current upgrades would have to be the lighting, and I would probably invest in an RO/DI.

55 is fine...it s what most of us start with. The problem is that is gets full so fast, you'll find yourself wishing you'd done a 75 or a 90. This is my actual story, in fact.

However, since you own the 55, that's a powerful incentive, and if you plan carefully anything you buy for the 55 will fit the larger 48" (75 or 90g) tank when you upgrade next year :rolleyes:

Thx and good luck

That is the problem already, seeing the nano, and obviously getting swept up in it. The ol' lady is already so enthralled with the saltwater that she looked at my freshwater and said "Why don't you sell that one?" My immediate thought was, why don't I do more saltwater?! I have a friend who lives on the Mariana Islands who has sent me some georgous rock that is just waiting to cure, I would love to use it in my 55, I think I will start parting out my current FW stock.

I'm in an apartment, so I'd rather not hang lights, but I also don't know enough to rule it out.

you can probably use your canister filter, but i dont think you can fit many rubbles in there.

with filter floss and rubble I would venture to say I could do 5 gallons.

I have a 55 with all LPS I like it but will be upgrading to a 90 soon I would recommend going with a 90 instead of a 55 you will be happier with the added depth.

Personally you will run out of room with the 55. You can only do so much with the aquascape due to the tank being so narrow. I would either do a 75/90 or if you have the ability to, jump up to the 120. Deep Blue makes a really nice 80 gallon 48x24x18 that i really like too.

I would use the 55 you currently have as the sump for the tank or as a frag system.

I would love to go with a 75. It just seems easier with everything I have setup already. Space being a big issue as well. Using the 55 as a sump doesn't even seem possible with my space right now. I love the 90 gallon cubes as well, but again, space!

Find a room to set up a 90 and use the 55 underneath it as a sump. You have the bug, will eventually make this change, and you will have more success with the bigger water volume - not to mention that it will look way better. I would also sell the nano once you're ready to move into the bigger tank as part of your space saving plan/budget. $0.02.

Find a room to set up a 90 and use the 55 underneath it as a sump. You have the bug, will eventually make this change, and you will have more success with the bigger water volume - not to mention that it will look way better. I would also sell the nano once you're ready to move into the bigger tank as part of your space saving plan/budget. $0.02.

It's the finding space thing that's the issue! Never say never, but I love my little nano, although I wish I just started with the 29 Bio off the bat. It was brought to my attention that if there was ever any copper or treatment in my 55 that it would need a really good cleaning. I think I might hit up Petco's $ per Gallon sale and get a 40 gallon breeder, turn it into a frag tank.

Thanks for the headsup on that. I stopped at Petco today, I picked up a 40 breeder and a 29 gallon as a sump. I didn't look into if the glass was tempered or not, but I plan to sell the 55 and start fresh. It's just deep and high enough that it'll make an awesome size Reef Tank for the apartment. Rosco, what kind of lights are you running?

I have one Power Compact Unit and one T5 2 bulb unit on my 75. I got both used (cheap) because I just won't pull the trigger on any kind of LED. If you are going to spend ANY kind of real money on lights go ahead and do LED. They will last a way long time and you will ultimately be happier.

I started with the 55 myself and a year later, after learning what it takes to keep marine fish and inverts, I took the next step and got a 110 and now use the 55 as my sump. The point being, the 55 is fine to start with, its just a pain to aquascape because its so thin. You dont want to put your LR against the back glass in case you need to get something like a dead fish from there so it leaves little room for your livestock. a 90 tall wouldnt be that much of a bigger footprint than a 55... its got the same 48 inches across, just a little deeper and fatter.

its mostly all personal preference! I have a 55 running right now that has been going for about 5yrs. I like the way it looks. that said, I will probably be going to a 75 soon for a little more depth and felxibility. JMHO, but here is what I would do(did): start with your 55. the lights you will be using will probably be usefull in a 75, 90 or 120. be patient and wait untill someone sells one of those cheap and upgrade then.

Drilling- is the glass tempered? if so you cannot drill! trust me on this! is you have an older style (untemepred) tank you may be able to drill it. otherwise you will hve to go with an overflow. personally, I wouldnt bother with a canister filter for salt. I run my overflow to a sump. thats just me though.

lights- if you go with T5 you will probably have no problems and be able to grow whatever you want. MH works, but for a 55 I think T5 is better due to heat issues. if you Know you will be going bigger eventually though MH may be better... or you could get on the LED bandwagon if you like the way they look... I dont personally and think the claimed $ savings long term is dubious at best... JMHO again.