4 Stage plus RO/DI unit by BRS

newtoreef

I just got the RO/DI system by Bulk reef supply and I am a little confused because I am producing more waste water and RO/DI water is that normal?? or I am doing something wrong.? I thought this would help me, first reduce my trips to a LFS and Second save some money, etc.. but with all this waste water I am having here second thoughts... I might be doing something wrong... any help?

RO/DI units all generate more waste then usable water. Usually 2 gallons are wasted for every gallon purified. Water temp can effect this...you waste more with cold water then you would if the input water was closer to 75ish degrees. The waste water can be used though, it's still better than tap water to drink, water plants, or even fill the washer with.

I just measured and I got about 2 gallons of Ro/di and 7 gallons of waste... What a waste I guess i can use to do some laundry... is this proportion what you get also?

RO/DI units all generate more waste then usable water. Usually 2 gallons are wasted for every gallon purified. Water temp can effect this...you waste more with cold water then you would if the input water was closer to 75ish degrees. The waste water can be used though, it's still better than tap water to drink, water plants, or even fill the washer with.

Ok I didn't know I could increase the water temperature I thought I need to use cold only... I will increase the temperature to save more water..

How can you raise the temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tap water just turn the hadle to warm water.. however the amount of waste water still the same didn't reduce as much

No no no...do not run warm water through your RODI...unless you only have CPVC and an instant water heater ....mosy tanked heaters and water lines leach lead ....that's why your not even supposed to drink warm water...and you should let the warm water run for a few minutes before using it...

I water my plants with my waste water...and my lawn :)

I have the same unit. I'm also getting about 4 to 1. Nature of the thing. If you want you can put the waste water into your clothes washer. You can increase the temp of the incoming water by getting a long coil of tube for input to the RO/DI and dropping it into a bucket full of water with an old aquarium heater keeping the water at 80 or so. Then you can even use the waste water from the RO/DI to rinse out the bucket so it doesn't get gross. Someone here suggested this scheme to me, and it's working great.

I'm not convinced that any house built since the 70s has significant lead and heavy metals in the hot water output that the RO/DI can't remove. If it's coming out at 0 TDS, it's 0, no matter what went in, I'd think. Water heaters are also usually glass lined, at this point. Maybe it's the contribution of the sacrificial anode to the water that people worry about?

No no no...do not run warm water through your RODI...unless you only have CPVC and an instant water heater ....mosy tanked heaters and water lines leach lead ....that's why your not even supposed to drink warm water...and you should let the warm water run for a few minutes before using it...

Good advice. Heed it. There's just more junk in water that's gone through your water heater. The efficiency that you're seeing is typical. It's part of the price of getting good water. Check your water bill before you think this still isn't a good deal. I doubt that you'll find the waste water all that expensive when you really figure it out. As for the water being better than tap, I can't say. Remember, except for what's pulled out by the carbon, the rest of the impurities are actually more concentrated in the waste water.

(Sent from my phone)