Insurance rider?

AlanM

Is it wise to get a rider or special endorsement on your house insurance policy before setting up a bit tank, or is it typically covered by insurance already? I remember I had to get one for a waterbed when I was renting a long time ago.

It really depends on your base policy..you may want to contact your agency and find out what is covered...mine covers firee damage but for anything specific for my tank i needed an additional rider for it...

Usaa covers it like an appliance, so any damage incurred covered, but not livestock. I had to file a biggie a few years ago because of a slight malfunction (of the brain...)

Be careful, if the tank water is due to one of your mistakes then you are SOL, most insurance companies use a standard ISO ho-3 contract , they all just call it something different , let's say you had your tank on a stand or area that was not level, well that would fall under negligence and therefore not be covered. You don't need a rider for your equipment your agent is just getting more $ from you that way. You will never get your livestock covered .ever. But your equipment is covered regardless , unless the damage to it is excluded in your policy.

Slow leak from tank that ends up ruining flooring , not covered.

If you do sustain water damage though from your tank it will cover all personal property damaged and any structural damage unless the leak of water was a specifically excluded peril.

Pick my brain for anything else , I'm a senior underwriter w/cpcu so I can pretty much answer any specific ?'s you might have.

Yes. Take pictures of all your hardware including the surrounding area.

Not 100% it all depends on the cause of the failure or what your adjuster would say the "proximate cause"

Say your return pump failed , because of a power flicker or outage due to work being done on the lines and sump overflows everywhere , you are SOL

But if it fails due to storm then your fine.

Not 100% it all depends on the cause of the failure or what your adjuster would say the "proximate cause"

Say your return pump failed , because of a power flicker or outage due to work being done on the lines and sump overflows everywhere , you are SOL

But if it fails due to storm then your fine.

Prior to an incident, would it be beneficial to document the equipment? I would think maintaining a current inventory would help the process.

You should always have an inventory of everything in your home, the best way is take pictures and document model# and serial# and email them too yourself so you can access them anywhere . And I'm talking everything , no matter how small it is, if something happens ie total loss you need to be reimbursed for everything down to toilet paper and tooth brush.