Not happy with T5 bulb selection, need advice[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2jd3r53.jpg[/IMG]

BMW1600

2jd3r53.jpg

Here's a pic I took tonight; in case it is not apparent, my lighting is "cool" and I am not happy with my color "pop." It's almost like a constant camera flash, if that makes any sense.

I have ATI Blue Plus (x2), Aquablue Special, and Purple Plus. 24Wx4.

What should I swap? I know I am limited with my fixture, but if anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it. It sucks seeing some of these frags under LEDs where they are almost glowing only to bring them home and see them "flat" :/

Thanks!

Dave

I think the color in the pic looks good. If you want a bluer look go with another Blue Plus or for a lighter look go with another Aquablue special.

Edited by steveoutlaw

If you want to see the LED pop...you need some LED's. I personally love T5's (and would recommend the same thing as surf&turf and say go for a coral+ instead of aquablue) but adding a 453nm royal blue led strip will give you those crazy colors.

looks good to me too! the actinics will get you a lot more pop. for a four bulb though... hmmm... might just swap a blue plus for an actinic. I like aqua blue, but it can look washed out depending on the other bulbs. could try getting rid of it and putting in a 50:50, and swapping a blue plus for actinic too...

then there is LED if you like the way it looks...

If you want to see the LED pop...you need some LED's. I personally love T5's (and would recommend the same thing as surf&turf and say go for a coral+ instead of aquablue) but adding a 453nm royal blue led strip will give you those crazy colors.

+1... I use a similar T5 bulb selection and I also have a strip of blue LEDs which certainly helps add that "POP"

Thanks for the replies.

If I was to get a an Ecoxotic strip, what length? 12"? Keeping in mind, of course, that my fixture is not that long to begin with.

edit: also, any options for the transformer? The Ecoxotic one is as much as a strip! It seems absurd for a simple transformer.

Edited by BMW1600

I've got a 4x39 rig on my 46bow.....2 x b+, C+, and p+. I like the current look of mine though I've considered swapping the C+ for an actinic white....just wasn't sure of par changes.

I like the current look of yours as well though. WhY corals/colors did you want to POP more? What order are your bulbs in? Ohand check out jstln's tank ....former totm

Thanks for the replies.

If I was to get a an Ecoxotic strip, what length? 12"? Keeping in mind, of course, that my fixture is not that long to begin with.

edit: also, any options for the transformer? The Ecoxotic one is as much as a strip! It seems absurd for a simple transformer.

I would go with the ReefBrites, they are far superior to the Ecoxotics. The ecoxotics wont really make that much of an impact. I would get one the same length as your light. The reefbrites people are mounting to the side of the fixture angled in. I know several people in the club have it set up like this. PM Incredible Corals, he can send you pics of how his is mounted.

Ecoxotic Panorama Pro modules are great if you use a fan to actively cool the heatsinks. These get smokin' hot because they're such low profile. No fan = 8 months lifespan.

We use these modules in 4 different reef tanks and they will grow anything if you have enough of them.

Ecoxotic customer service is just as good as Ecotech.