Salt - Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals?

swffan

If you are aiming for high Alk/Ca/Mg (e.g. SPS) then RCA unless u prefer to add 2 part and Mg in fresh SW to save the $$$ for IO. I use RC.

"How did 1500G of saltwater cost THAT much?"

I started out on IO for about the first 18 months, and then switched to Reef Crystals - I think my tank parameters are more stable since the switch. Provided you make up the difference in Calcium & Magnesium with IO, though, I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Edited by LCDRDATA

If you run a calcium reactor I would recomend using tropic marine Reefpro. Thought it needs to have a reactor running to keep the alkalinity in ballance. My opinion a much better grade and mix stuff than IO or RC.....

If you run a calcium reactor I would recomend using tropic marine Reefpro. Thought it needs to have a reactor running to keep the alkalinity in ballance. My opinion a much better grade and mix stuff than IO or RC.....

It better be for twice the price! What do you mean the salt needs a calcium reactor?

The calcium reactor (or you could use a docer) keeps the alkalinity stable. The salt mix tends to have a low alkalinity so needs help keeping it buffered. And yea it is a higher cost but you are paying for them providing a more consistent and replicable mix of trace minerals. For fish only not as important but reef it is important I used to use IO and had to add stuff all the time but since I have been using TM the only thing I do to keep stuff happy is the CA reactor. And salt is just like equipment and tattoos. A cheap tattoo generaly is not good and a good tattoo is not cheap!!!!!

I use Instant Ocean, mixed with my well water it may as well be R/C.