pizzaguy's reef savvy rimless build 60 cube

pizzaguy

I would get two tunze 6095's. They are a lot less than two MP40's, and would be perfect for that size tank imo. Probably would have to dial them back some.

I see that MP60 putting water all over the floor...

Only thing is I really don't want wires over the edge of the tank since its rimless. I like tunze just trying to keep wires out.

I have a question for the more experienced reefers. I'm trying to not have to use filter socks. Here are my plans thus far. 60 cube, 2 radions, sump is huge 4ft by 18" three chamber, mag 12 or 9.5 undecided, red skimmer in pics, gfo, carbon, and bio pellet reactor if needed. And dosers for 2 part. And a controller. So the questions are do you think I can get away without filter socks and do you see anything missing from my plans that I should have?

I hate filter socks, clog too much. I use an alternate method of filter pads in the sump through which the water coming down from the overflow passes through. Check out the sump on my 11.4g thread that Jeff at Lifereef did. I prefer his way much better.

Also I think a Mag 9.5 would be sufficient....I had a Mag 7 on a 40g cube and I had to dial it back a fair bit.

Same for me on the filter socks. I wash them twice a week on my 150 and to be honest I hate it.

Do you have a link to the 11.4 gallon. I can't find it.

I have read a few times about people using skimmers a lot bigger then they need instead of filter socks. Does that make any sense or is it totally wrong?

not really the same thing... filter socks just catch larger chunks... skimmers pull out the dissolved organics from the water as it passes by... I prefer to use the non-felt skimmer socks,, they do not clog nearly as fast end every week when i do my water change i change them out.. the felt ones i used to have to change every 3 days or so on my large tank...

Any advice on my setup thus far.

As far as equipment, your doing good,,, your stand is nice... I am assuming you have holes cut out for the overflow pipes to go straight into the sump tank without having to go outside then under?

As far as set up... I prefer filter socks... but then again I overfeed and usually feed frozen a few times a week so I HAVE to have a sock or filter padding to be able to catch all the junk left over...(which is why I want a larger skimmer, lol)

Then really, it is all going to depend on your habits, husbandry, and fish choices whether or not if you want a sock/floss, reactors, and such....but having an oversized skimmer does really help on keeping your water clearer..

I have never run any reactors... I am a "throw it in a media bag and set it in the high flow area of my sump" kinda gal, lol (I believe this is from YEARS of having aggressive fish and only soft corals, no real need for much of that stuff other than a UV I ran every now and then to get my water clearer,lol)

I forgot about that. I also have a new 9 watt uv sitting in the garage. I was gonna use a long time ago but everyone on reef central said don't use. I rarely get on rc anymore entirely to much bashing and criticizing for me.

You got a good deal on that skimmer, but I think you would be happier with the SWC. I would trade that beast of a skimmer and the MP60 for a couple of MP40s and whatever else you need. Just my .02

Here is the layout. If you look in the bottom left back corner you can see what I mean:

DSC_01572-1.jpg

You definitely want some sort of mechanical filtration, I would not rely on my skimmer alone.

So the questions are do you think I can get away without filter socks and do you see anything missing from my plans that I should have?

Why do you want or not want to use filter socks?

With a MP60 do you plan to have a sandbed?

Although you got the SRO 3K for a great price; you may not be happy with its performance; especially during the first 12 months. I see an upgrade in your future, in the neighborhood of 120g-180g.

Why do you want or not want to use filter socks?

On my 150 I have now I have to change them every 3 days.kinda of a pain just looking for a simpler way I guess.

With a MP60 do you plan to have a sandbed?

Yes on the sand bed. I'm gonna try to do some trading to get two mp40.

Although you got the SRO 3K for a great price; you may not be happy with its performance; especially during the first 12 months. I see an upgrade in your future, in the neighborhood of 120g-180g.

Can you explain please. And no on the upgrade. That's the reason I went smaller. I work a lot and relying on my wife is not happening that's why I'm trying to automate this setup as much as possible. Don't get me wrong I understand a reef is a lot of upkeep but I think you understand what I'm trying to say. I would like to have about a 100 gallon rimless in the future that's why I built the stand 48" wide.

I

If I could sell the reef savvy for what I got in it before the actual setup I will and go ahead and get the bigger rimless. But after having this reef savvy tank its pretty hard to look at different brands and a reef savvy that size is a little out of my league right now.

I may have missed something or did not realize you were downgrading, but majority of your equipment is extremely over sized and that is why I mentioned an upgrade. The net volume of your system will probably be in the area of 70g. As I mentioned above, you may not be happy with the skimmer performance.

Do you think I should just use the swc skimmer instead?