LED LIGHTING

STEVE

I was talking with a friend last night and the conversation turned to LED's...I would love to see a few LED ONLY tanks....SPS dominate. The few that I have seen, all the SPS has brown'd out, and the tanks just dont have the color. (in my opinion only) Not trying to start an argument on led vs this or that, just want to see someone who's running LED only lighting with great color and growth. Thanks

No personal pics, just a comment.

Vivid Aquariums has this video which I thought was useful:

Also, after reading Sanjay Joshi's series on Advanced Aquarist, its clear to me that LED's can successfully be used on any reef tank. He mentions that white or blue LED's lack radiation in the red spectrum, so that leaves the color a bit "flat." Obviously, some companies are offering red LEDs in their fixture to compensate. The look aside, PAR ratings are similar between LEDs and halides so ultimately both lighting systems provide enough radiation for the dinoflagellates to use for photosynthesis.

To me, its another "personal preference" issue.

Looks good Chris. I keep meaning to come visit and look at your tank. I will pm you.

I just happened to take this picture of my Oregon Tort two days ago. It is under Ecotech Radions.

Mother%2520Colony.jpg

Chris,

How big is your tank and how many Radions are you running?

-Byron

The tank is the 150g DD (36"x36"x27") I am running 2 Radions and 4 T5s

Radion pros? Or originals?

What T5s are you running?

I am still on the fence between Radions and Vegas.

I am trying to get an idea of what will work best for me.

-Byron

The original one. ATI Fixture. I am separating lps and sps. I will run t5 on sps tank and radion on lps tank.

Radion pros? Or originals?

What T5s are you running?

I am still on the fence between Radions and Vegas.

I am trying to get an idea of what will work best for me.

-Byron

(edited)

I was just wondering about the long term effects of LED's on SPS as far as color and growth. I keep hearing about LED's but have really not personally seen the sucess, as far as SPS goes, to justify the claims. If you have been running LED's on a SPS dominate tank for over a year and have good growth and coloration, please post/reply it. Like I mentioned in my original post, this is not ment to be a LED bashing or LED vs anything, just would like to see the results. We know T5's and MH are proven performers. Thanks for reading.

Edited by STEVE

I have had AI LEDS on my reef for 3 months. I have seen good growth of SPS. The growth in my tank has been spreading as opposed to a branching growth if that makes sense. The colors pop much more as opposed to the MH I used before.

Stop by and see my train wreck of a tank again sometime Steve. You know exactly how long mine's been on LEDs. I let the tank go for a little while but it's making it's come-back again, slowly. Some things have really nice color, some things not as great and slower growth. I think that it's probably more of a water quality thing with respect to my slower growth. The lack of color in some of my corals is certainly a water quality thing too I'd imagine. I'll try to scrape a couple layers off the glass and post a few shots, bubble algae and all :D