Rox .8 Cleanup!

Djplus1

OK, I officially am a dumb-ass. I sort of knew that I had an issue, but went along anyway. To make this short, I recently purchased some Rox .8 carbon from BRS to use in my media basket on the 14g Biocube. I purchased some media bags from Drs. Foster & Smith. Problem is the bags are 800 micron, and in the description mentions for use with carbon, but not this carbon, apparently. I noticed some pieces slipping out when I placed in the bag, but not so much that I thought it would be a problem. I have my media basket set up with the top shelf being filter floss, second shelf being Rox in media bag and bottom shelf being chaeto.

This is where the fun begins. Apparently, the coarse sponge that separates the middle chamber from the return chamber got loose and shifted, and nearly all of the Rox escaped the bag (almost 2 tablespoons) and got sucked into the return pump and spit out into the display. The whole aquarium is covered in Rox now, there are a few pieces of LR that I can probably syphon the Rox off of, but there is a ton of it in the live sand. Is it possible to vacuum "most" of the Rox off the top and leave some stray pieces in, or do I have to break down the tank and buy new sand? If I do that, will I need to let the tank cycle again as there are 4 small fish in the tank along with a small cleanup crew? It's been this way for a couple days as I haven't had time to attend to it also, can I wait till the weekend, or should I do it tonight?:sad:

Siphon as much as you can and do not worry about the remaining. It is not worth rebooting the tank.

Agree. ROX is hard enough that you're not going to have an issue with carbon dust. The issue is mostly an aesthetic one.

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping. If both of you have experience with Rox, do you know what micron bag I would need to contain the stuff properly, but still allow flow? I'm not seeing many choices and most don't even say. The lowest I've seen was 300 micron, I think. I've even read on threads that carbon reactors have issues with the stuff being so small, so that seems troubling, as I was thinking about getting a reactor for my big tank also.

I have mine in a reactor, not a mesh bag, so I can't provide any experience there. Have you tried sending an email to BRS to describe your situation? I'm sure they could give you some good advice.

BTW, I had a similar spill when I first used it in a reactor. I had to reduce flow at first to keep it from blowing by the sponge. In my case, it just went into the sump, not the display. I just left if for a later cleanup.

I have some in a filter bag from BRS, and it has not leaked any out so far. Couple weeks or so.

http://www.bulkreefs...raw-string.html

Just ordered 4 of these. I hope they do work. The person on the live chat system they have said they would be fine and also not impede water flow too much.

Do you think that I could ball one of these up and throw it into my filter sock in my 72g sump and have it do anything, or should I just pony up and get a carbon reactor?

Bags are fine, but reactors are better. Here is a good one, http://www.avastmari...ubuilt/MR-5-Kit

I just ordered a couple ATO's from Justin, so I have been looking at this, but it's backordered. I almost pulled the trigger on the BRS single deluxe with Italian made MJ1200 for $79 though. I will wait to see how long it takes Avast to get some more in though before I make my final decision. I like the the way the BRS looks for ease of refilling media, but I'm also a sucker for supporting local niche businesses (as long as the price difference isn't frickin outrageous!, which is not really an issue since we're talking $20 or so).

I just ordered a couple ATO's from Justin, so I have been looking at this, but it's backordered. I almost pulled the trigger on the BRS single deluxe with Italian made MJ1200 for $79 though. I will wait to see how long it takes Avast to get some more in though before I make my final decision. I like the the way the BRS looks for ease of refilling media, but I'm also a sucker for supporting local niche businesses (as long as the price difference isn't frickin outrageous!, which is not really an issue since we're talking $20 or so).

FWIW, I was at Avast's manufacturing facility the middle part of last week and saw quite a few reactors under construction.