Baltimore Aquarium

ToddR

med_gallery_2633183_1117_61780.jpgWent to the Baltimore Aquarium Aug 30th. Not as much reef stuff as I would have liked but well worth the trip.

med_gallery_2633183_1117_41124.jpgmed_gallery_2633183_1117_25022.jpgmed_gallery_2633183_1117_55842.jpgmed_gallery_2633183_1117_29371.jpgmed_gallery_2633183_1117_18489.jpg

Ive gone in July and August... def. looked like back in July they were fighting cyano... but when I went back last month it looked fairly well...

though the poor snowflake eel they have needs a larger habitat as he his getting huge and his tank is VERY small...

One of the caretakers of the reef tanks said they were finally getting the cyano under control. It took lots of manual removal until they got a handle on it. Yes, the snowflake needs a bigger tank. The reef tank did look very clean. I went to Dallas Aquarium in june and they had numerous reef tanks, all with extremely bad flatworm infestation. The lady giving tours said they were baby mushroom corals until I showed her on the web!!!!!

Yeah the volunteers dont research as much as I would, lol

it really depends on who is by which tank and you MAY get to learn something new... the younger people I usually talk to and give them some info and ideas of where to look things up

I have to say having a Nautilus though is one of my FAVORITE things there,,,,

I went in August and while I didn't see much cyano, the corals looked offal. All the SPS looked dead or dying and the LPS wasn't very happy at all. The Trumpets were melting and the raccoon butterfly was feasting on a gigantic brain coral, of which there was not much left. The only corals that looked good were the softies. Also, I didn't see the mandarin in there that I saw the last time I went. It was like 6" and only came out when the kids stop beating on the tank :angry:, which wasn't happening with all the kids in there that day.

I did like the jelly's (although I can't figure out how they keep them from getting sucked up into the pumps, and I'm happy they've opened the Dolphins up as a regular exhibit and aren't "showing" them any more. It's nice to see them just swimming around and playing with things on their own.

So is it any good to visit. I was planning to go and take family this weekend. I don't want to pay and get disappointed. Does it mean DC Aquarium is better to go than Baltimore?

So is it any good to visit. I was planning to go and take family this weekend. I don't want to pay and get disappointed. Does it mean DC Aquarium is better to go than Baltimore?

I have heard that the DC "National" Aquarium is garbage. Baltimore is very nice though.

My wife and I would go again in a heartbeat. The things us "reefers" are looking for don't even register to the average person. It is worth it for the rainforest section alone.

DC is small, but I wouldn't say "garbage". Just doesn't compare in scale with the rest of today's modern aquaria. It never will be.... Not sure of the price now. It was only $6, which isn't horible for an hour or two. May not stand up to the little kid factor as much as the big ones.

If you join you can go unlimited throughout the year.. which is worth it if you have alot of family that comes to visit becuase it is a good place to take people to... and I wouldnt mind going once a month for a year....It is forever changing and as different staffers get in there I think that when you can really see the differences in each different aquarium...

OH and for the Jellies... they are in Kreisels basically a rectangular aquarium with acrylic inside to make the inside of the tank round... so they dont get stuck in the corners nor sucked up into and overflow as the flow goes around in a fairly circular motion...