Building a pond

STEVE

Anyone have experience building a backyard pond? Need some advice. Equipment, etc... I will be calling John at BRK on Wednesday also.

The company I used to do aquarium maintenance for also did ponds, so I did that on the side from time to time. What are you looking to do?

What brand of equipment to purchase...ie, skimmer box, pump.

Is it DIY pond? size and budget?

My pond is a little over 1000 Gallons. I did the whole nine yard by myself (digging and everything). Cost me about $2-3K.

Most important: Don't got get the have miss utility come out to mark your yard and check your county for pond permit.

Tip: If you going with rubber lining, use old carpet as pond underlayment if you can find some.

CHUCK, Which type of equipment did you go with?

Presently, the only equipment used in the pond is (a 2000GPH waterfall pump (from harbor freight), a filter box (just bioballs), a aeration pump (for winter) and a de-icer (for winter)), a net to cover the whole pond during the FALL to prevent leaves from falling into the pond). These are the same equipment I used for the past 4 years. I pulled the pump (stored in water bucket) and filter out during late fall and put them back during early spring.

Though, I did went through a couple of pricey pumps and UV system (DRSfoster...., died after 1 season).

As for pond liner, I used Good Year 45Mil (pricey, but supposedly last 20+ years).

I built a small reservoir on top for waterfall and plant lots of water plant (right now I have water crest, best plant so far) in it so it act as a natural filter.

From experience, the first 2 years are the hardest...green algae and green water all over. But once it established, it pretty much ALMOST maintenance free.

Also,

External pump with built-in UV are good too, but I personally like submersible one (much quieter).

I used to work for 2 of the big pond companies in the area. If you want a pond that doesn't leak and doesn't use carpet under the liner, call a professional pond company.

You'll need to check with your county ordinances on how deep you can dig it- usually 18" doesn't need a permit. Make sure Miss- Utility marks the area.

Dig the hole, clear all obstructions, add 4" of bluestone, then 2" of sand, then felt underlayment, then pond liner.

You'll want to use one of those nice overflow box type of filters which will then feed to a bead filter and UV sterilizer. Run the return via waterfall or stepped ponds to create a natural degasser.

We use a Savio skimmer box in our pond. It has a uv built into it that was an "add on". It functions the same as you would see on pool by allowing the surface water to be drawn into and skim al the stuff off before it sinks and becomes muck on the bottom. Our pond increased in enjoyment over night after adding it.

It has a place to add your pump and run it to the waterfall and so on. We used the smaller one but with the bigger skimmer box door.

Took about two hours to dig and add plumbing for and viola, crystal clear clean pond.

woot!

Well it's underway......The hole is about 99% dug, just purchased the Aquascape 2500 falls and the Aquascape signature series 6.0 skimmer, 4000gph pump, & 25' of 2"black flexible pipe.

No pics yet (dont know how to post them on here since the change) but I am digging the trenches for the hose and waterfall now, relocating a couple of sprinkler pipes, and installing the overflow drain. This digging stuff gets old, QUICK!!! Had to put a small retaing wall (only about 1' tall) The dimensions are approx. 13' by 10'. It has 2 ledges, the first on is 1' deep from the top and the second one is 2' deep for a total dept of 3' from the surface, and I do plan on putting either gold fish or Koi, not sure which one yet.

Sound like it going to be a very nice pond.

Digging! Ayahh..yike..yike!..The first 6 inches down are the worse! but after that is a piece of cake. I almost gave up when I started mine. I don't think I can do that anymore. Getting too old for it. I would dig around outer side of the retaining wall and put drain pipe (one flexible with lots of holes) around and route it away from the pond and then top it with gravel or pebbles stone. This prevent/reduce any runoff from going beneath your pond liner.

Koi and comets mixed would be nice. I am still keeping my eyes peel for a under priced Yamabuki Ogon.

Oh!I have lot of lilies and cattails. You welcome to some next spring.