Skimmer Water Depth

PotomacBoater

I have a Coralife SuperSkimmer 220 set up in my sump.

The manual states "Top of needle-wheel pump must be 3"-4" below water line"

O.k.

No Problem

But it also talks about a 5" flexible tube between the pump and the Chamber Intake.

I currently adjusted the water level in the sump to be 3" above the pump

(with the pump close to the Intake)

or should I lower the pump (is more height better for skimmate?)

I also wonder if the sponge on the output is better or worse for the skimmer.

Looking at the pictures

is the skimmer ready to go in the sump as is, or do I have to modify it.

Thanks

post-2632790-134333071255_thumb.jpg

post-2632790-134333072031_thumb.jpg

I can't tell you how it will perform as I have no experience with this model. However, it does appear that the flexible tubing between the pump and the skimmer inlet is a lot shorter than 5 inches now. In the manufacturers instructions, the tubing is longer, thus lowering the pump. This lowers the water level needed in the sump and gives more room between the outside water level and the skimmer neck. This might result in the skimmer overflowing easier. However, I presume that someone shortened the tubing for a reason. Maybe the skimmer performs better this way. I don't know. Give it a try using a higher water level in the sump. If you find the skimmer overflowing easily with really wet skimmate, then use a longer piece of tubing and lower the water level in the sump (or raise the skimmer body).

I would lose the sponge, it's just something else you will need to clean every week. As the foam clogs you will see a drop in the skimmer's internal water level making a need to make constant adjustments.

Since the hose is shorter then it should be, by about 3" I would guess, I would run the water level about 1" over the pump. Replacing the hose with a 5" one would put it back to where it was designed to be.