Onto the airplane with fish...

Chad

After spending a few more minutes researching this, here is a screen shot from the "Can I Bring" tool on TSA's website:

gallery_2632346_867_5239.jpg

So someone could bring fish to the airport headed for another state, and be told at the last minute they can't take the animal. Who ends up with the animal? Would anyone throw away their plane ticket for a fish? Maybe the guy has a reef tank and tells you you can;t take the fish just because he wants to keep it. Or does the fish get tossed in with other stuff that people weren't allowed to take with them, to perish?

Sounds like it would be worthwhile to talk to a TSA supervisor ahead of time, and bring a printout of the regulation with you to the airport on the day of travel.

I travel with my dog 2-3 times a year and the principle is the same. The airline, pilot, and/or TSA can refuse your animal at any point. Sometimes its based on regulations regarding temperature (not an issue with cabin transport). I've even had my dog "thrown off" the plane after I boarded due to an oxygen sensor malfunction on the animal hold. The airline and pilot worked it out for us but bottom line is that you have to have a backup when you transport any livestock. I always make sure my wife or some family are available to pick up the dog if he doesn't make it on the flight. At least with dogs, I've found everyone is very sympathetic and tries to accommodate (missed a Continental connection once and the airline kenneled for free in their facility and emailed me hourly updates on how the dog was doing!).

My guess with fish is that they will point you to the nearest waste receptacle.

Sounds like it would be worthwhile to talk to a TSA supervisor ahead of time, and bring a printout of the regulation with you to the airport on the day of travel.

Exactly, what I would do.

Exactly, what I would do.

That's the way I did it. I went to Dallas, TX and visited Neptunes Cove. I was told to box it up and send it in my check in bag. The water restriction did not apply to check ons. It is the same as ordering something online and it's shipped to you. I got an organ transfer box from the owner of the store, wwrapped and taped securely, packed in my bag and surrouded it with clothes. In the bags 23 hours and everything made it. Not one question from TSA.

Would anyone throw away their plane ticket for a fish?

I bet you Copps would... Any fish he'd transport would be worth more than the ticket. :biggrin: