Do you have multiple wrasses?

Ryan S

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1378

According to LA: "You can house wrasse of different species together, as long as they do not look similar. If the wrasse have the same color or body shape, they may believe the other wrasse to be the same species, and become aggressive."

For those of you with multiple reef safe wrasses, which ones do you have together? (They all have similar color or body shape IMO).

melanurus, radiant, six line, 4 flames, rhomboid, possum. There are a lot of people that have kept various Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus wrasses together without difficulty. I've heard of issues with six-lines and mystery wrasses being fairly pugnacious.

I have 10 wrasses in the tanks and counting with out a problem. As long you don't get a semi-aggressive or aggressive ones.

(edited)

I have 10 wrasses in the tanks and counting with out a problem. As long you don't get a semi-aggressive or aggressive ones.

so these would be a good start? easy / reef compatible / peaceful?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1378&r=28+32+22&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

Edited by Ryan S

I've posted this before, but I feel I should interject my personal experience with keeping males of the same species.

TL;DR It's all about personality.

I recieved 3 carpenter flasher wrasse males from an online order (ridiculously impossible to find females btw, and these were definite males) and I had to add them all to separate tanks. I don't remember what happened or why, but after some time I ended up having to add 2 together in my 29g.

They got along great, they had each formerly been with different y/t damsels that they were "best buds" with. One was a little more assertive, but the other was very calm and everyone was happy. Then something happened with the third in his tank and I had to move him.

I brought him upstairs to the 29g and right away he started being harrassed by the dominant male. I had turned already turned off the lights, and added a cover over the tank to block any light as added protection. The sad part of the story is the new male grew increasingly more distressed by everything happening and died. The awesome (and kinda sad) part is that the formerly subordinate male wouldn't let the dominate male touch the new wrasse. He stayed right up against the fish while it was on it's side on the sand and would chase his former buddy away (at one point I even noticed a damsel take part in the "keep away"). After the new wrasse died, the other 2 never got along after that and I had to separate them again. Lost both to jumping accidents.

These guys are awesome, and have amazing personalities, just watch how they act with each other and new fish. It's all hit or miss. Though in a large tank with enough territories, you should be fine.

Which ones are you wanting to combine?

My guess is you could prob add 19 in your tank if you did it at the same time to avoid aggression towards each other...

090110-not-funny.jpg