Random trip to Knoxville

Chad

I have a random trip to Knoxville today and will have a few hours to kill tomorrow after I finish up business before my flight takes off...

Anyone know of a couple good LFSs to check out?

Sustainable Aquatics is in Jefferson City, not far from knoxville. Would be a cool tour if you could arrange.

edit - amber beat me

LOL, Mike... I am not going to Dollywood.

SA is a good idea, I am going to call them up in the morning and see what happens.

Thanks!

I called Sustainable Aquatics on Friday morning to see if I could get a tour, I talked with the owner a bit (we hit it off instantly and had a great 15 minute converstation), but unfortunately, I was not able to get a tour. He was all for making it happen, but with my tight window of opportunity and low Friday staff, they don't ship on Fridays and take it as a mostly off day, there wasn't anyone that could show me around.

However, I learned an interesting piece of information, SA has a retail store that they use to keep a pulse on the retail end of the hobby and help make them more informed of what the hobbyists are asking for. That retail store is in Knoxville and is called The Coral Reef. Since I had a few hours, I went and paid it a visit: I have been in a lot of LFSs in my time, this easily makes it into the top three I have been in.

Every now and then, I have run across an LFS that is as much a reefer hangout as it is a retail store, that is the kind of place this is. A few local reefers hanging around in a lounge area talking, it had a nice welcoming feel as soon as I walked in.

The store had all the standard stuff that we are used to seeing with a few standouts. First, there were no less than 5 mature tanks in the 200 gallon plus range on display. The 16' x 8' x 4' (ish) plywood look down shark tank complete with epauletttes was really a site to behold. Their "frags" were all small colony sized and some were really really really awesome, I really had to restrain myself and not bring anything home!! Finally, their display standalone QT system is really top-notch. And yes, they had all of sustainable aquatics livestock from mandarins to hippo tangs to clams.

The store made me want to move to Tennessee.

Thanks Amber and Doug for that idea... It didn't work out quite like I had planned, but it was still awesome!

Does anyone know if any of our LFSs carry SAs livestock?