Disaster Strikes!

flooddc

Welcome to the club. Overflowed my refugium twice last year, once when a RBTA got stuck in the overflow and once when I had a net over the overflow and was wiping algae off of the sides of the tank and the wife called me away from my tank work to help her. Luckily the back of my basement is tile but both times the water seeped under the wall into the carpeted section which didn't make the wife happy.

Carpet and floor dried up nicely but not completely bone dry. Wish I have one of those industrial shell type floor fan! Oh well, maybe invest in one for future clean-up.

I can see myself justifying that one... "honey, it's for better circulation in the house this summer..." :tongue:

What you need is a dehumidifier to pull the last of th water out of the carpet and pad or it will mold...should be able to rent on ag HD or a tool rental place..same with the industrial carpet fan i have the future...

What you need is a dehumidifier to pull the last of th water out of the carpet and pad or it will mold...should be able to rent on ag HD or a tool rental place..same with the industrial carpet fan i have the future...

I installed my own carpet in the basement. Thus, I was able use the saving toward high quality padding that does not absorb water. I lift part of the carpet off the wall and dry everything under neath. But still running my fans for another day or two just in case.

ahhh you got the padding with the plastic on top! We used to use it for the 'pet' apartments, lol then only have to replace carpet and not padding when peoples pets werent trained well, lol

it does work really well.... may want to make sure to wipe it down with a clean water cloth to make sure you get all the salt up...

my tanks now in the basement with tile floring and drains...

after 90 gallons, 2 floors of carpet/padding, downstairs drywall, the furnace/ac exchange replaced (went into the ductwork), and one VERY PO'ed wife.

$15K of damage, I win (or is that loose...)

Win/lose i dont want to be in ANY of those clubs....had a few issues with the last tank and power outages but with the new tank/stand im building a better / waterproof bottom in the stand....Im using a plywood base and building the 2x4's around the edge then siliconing the seam, epoxying the entire bottom and up the side of the 2x4'sdays and putting in a plastic membrane as well (shower liner and sealed in the corners again) it will hold roughly 15 gallons of water if there is an isue...

my tanks now in the basement with tile floring and drains...

after 90 gallons, 2 floors of carpet/padding, downstairs drywall, the furnace/ac exchange replaced (went into the ductwork), and one VERY PO'ed wife.

$15K of damage, I win (or is that loose...)

I am surprised your're not in the dog house for that or not allow to have anymore tank. If it was me, I pretty sure i'll be in the dog house!wacko.gif