new fish disease?

zygote2k

A while back, I set up a QT system for my day job. We got some fish from some of the Md LFS, specifically some Bangaii Cardinals and threw them into the QT system along with a Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, Yellow Tangs, Foxface, and some clownfish. One by one, all of the Bangaiis died and several days after, all the rest of the fish died.

The QT system ran fishless for several weeks and then a pair of percula clowns were added at the same time an 80w sterilizer went online.

The clownfish fared well for a few weeks then were introduced to a tank. Tank owner purchased some fish from one of the Md LFS and within 4 days, all of the new fish died, but the clownfish are still doing well. With the majority of these fish deaths, there have been no outward signs of disease. All water parameters are normal in the QT system too.

Dave Lin's fish tragedy comes to mind too, and I also heard about some mysterious deaths from Sanjay Yoshi.

Could there be a new fish disease that we are completely unaware of?

Sounds like someone with a microscope needs to start cutting apart dead fish and solving the mystery.

Symptoms?

Something you are saying about the bangaii cardinals reminds be of something Sean said a while back... I'll search some and post if I can find it.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/46303-wild-banggai-population-at-risk/page__p__387531__hl__cardinal__fromsearch__1entry387531

Though if it is this, it doesn't explain the problem with the other fish. Have you talked with Kelly Jedlicki?

I think there is something new going around. There are so many recent fish deaths attributed to ich but it just doesn't sound right. Ich is a very common and well known disease. It's been around as long as fish tanks have. But yet it seems that fish have been dying left and right recently to it. If it is really ich, I am surprised that the mortality is so high for such a common disease. My suspicion is that there is a new disease that looks like ich but is something different and we are misdiagnosing it and therefore not treating it properly. I could be wrong but my Spidey Sense is tingling...

(edited)

+1 when I had all those losses one after another all within 10 days It looked like a little of everything;velvet, ick, parasites. Some had spots, others a slimey coat, others heavy breathing and sudden death. I treated my fish with everything from Copper to prazi. It was terrible. Maybe a new strain of velvet or something. Diseases become resistant to standard meds all the time. By the time we get these fish what have they already been treated for?

I think there is something new going around. There are so many recent fish deaths attributed to ich but it just doesn't sound right. Ich is a very common and well known disease. It's been around as long as fish tanks have. But yet it seems that fish have been dying left and right recently to it. If it is really ich, I am surprised that the mortality is so high for such a common disease. My suspicion is that there is a new disease that looks like ich but is something different and we are misdiagnosing it and therefore not treating it properly. I could be wrong but my Spidey Sense is tingling...

Edited by Jan

One of my new bangai just died. It went lethargic with heavy breathing. To me he looked like drunk swimming....bumping into things, swimming upside down, sideways, and then plowed his face into the sand. After seeing that I placed him in my defunk Nano just to be out of my DT. It died 30mins later. Now I'm worried with the rest of my fish.

Bangaiis are always suspect in my book since they can suffer through so much trauma during shipping, even if they're captive bred and raised. Unless you're getting them directly from the breeder, you can't know how well they've handled shipping.

The other fish, however, could be something. I was too depressed when I lost my fish to do any autopsies or scrape any skin... should have done it.