ID Please

bcoop78

(edited)

I'm not sure what this is, but my gut tells me "nudibranch". Please let me know if this is harmful, helpful, or neither. Thanks guys! 47a31f1a-719b-2bf1.jpg

Edited by bcoop78

(edited)

On the beltway .. viewing on my phone it looks like a cuke or a hare, can't rule out a nudi. I seen something similar coming out of an SPS colony I was dipping. Didn't want to risk it so I removed it.

Edited by Saltwaterworx

Definitely a cucumber. You get little ones like that in Caribbean rock some times. Usually you'll just see the feeding tentacles sticking out of a rock somewhere.

I'm reading good and bad about cukes... What are your experiences?

Definitely a cucumber. You get little ones like that in Caribbean rock some times. Usually you'll just see the feeding tentacles sticking out of a rock somewhere.

Leaning towards that!

I'm reading good and bad about cukes... What are your experiences?

IMO and IMEx, It's been a dice roll. Kinda like sea hares. Some people think theyre God's gift to cleaning their aquarium. Others consider them a ticking time bomb. This post stays active enough... you'll see.

That shouldn't be an issue. It's a tiny one and shouldn't be able to nuke your tank if it dies. Looks like a filter feeder to me and it has chosen a bulkhead (area of high flow) to stick to. Oh, and it's a cucumber. You can see the rows of tube feet on it that go in bands from mouth to anus (my immature side is giggling at that last one).

Awesome, thanks guys!! You know after all of the contemplating I did over whether to start with dry or live rock, I am sure glad I chose live.. When I had my rock out of the tank for a second to re-aquascape, I actually had a tiny crab run out onto my hand!! Pretty neat!

It's a total wives tale that a cuke, hare, or apple will nuke your tank if it dies. MAybe if you had one in a 10g tank without a good skimmer, you might have issues, but since most of us that use these animals have larger tanks than 55g with good skimmers and adequate filtration, it shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe you've even heard the one about a mantis shrimp breaking a tank.... If you have and can prove it, I'll pay you $100.

It's a total wives tale that a cuke, hare, or apple will nuke your tank if it dies. MAybe if you had one in a 10g tank without a good skimmer, you might have issues, but since most of us that use these animals have larger tanks than 55g with good skimmers and adequate filtration, it shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe you've even heard the one about a mantis shrimp breaking a tank.... If you have and can prove it, I'll pay you $100.

I don't believe that this is true, but it does have some reputable references.....

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholladay/2006-01-09-shrimp_x.htm

LOL

Off-topic reply (like the post above), but noted Stomatopoda researcher, Dr. Roy Caldwell, has reportedly seen some of his mantis shrimp subjects break glass according to this taken from stuff he wrote first-hand:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/shrimpcare/a/aamantisshrimpinfo.htm