Aquatic Turtles

tygger

It's been a while since I've been on here and my paid membership expired. I don't recall if there was an off topic forum or if I just can't view it.

I have 4 fully grown red eared slider turtles that I don't have the time or space to take care of them properly any more. Does anyone know the best place to either give them away or sell them? I need to find them new homes.

Thanks

if you cant find a home for them let me know, i have a pond up near baltimore they would most likely be very happy in along with the other turtles already there.

if you cant find a home for them let me know, i have a pond up near baltimore they would most likely be very happy in along with the other turtles already there.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep this option open.

These turtles have been raised since they were only 1" small and they are now around 6-7". They've been raised indoors their entire life and fed daily w/ pellets and fresh veggies. Do you think they would survive the transition to the outdoor pond, extreme weather variances, and feeding situation?

hmm have no clue...ill talk to the wife..she is a turtlehollic and maybe she will know better or want them...

what size tank do you have them in is probably the better first question..

hmm have no clue...ill talk to the wife..she is a turtlehollic and maybe she will know better or want them...

what size tank do you have them in is probably the better first question..

IMO, way too small of a tank. They're in a 125g w/ the water filled about 6 inches from the top, just so they have enough space to get on the platform to bask. I ended up adopting 2 from friends many years ago.

as far as I have seen if you can get them acclimated in the summer and have turtle warming houses in the winter when it snows you should be fine...(im one of those people that doesnt believe in outside dogs or cats though, lol)

You may want to introduce them to live food. give them baby guppies, bugs and worms to eat. If you let them go in the wild they will need to learn to feed themselves.

Many years ago, I had turtles in a tank. After offering them food that they had to catch for themselves, I released them into a nice pond. Don't know how long they lasted. Probably until it got cold out.

I reintroduced some turtles to the outdoors last year and they did fine. I had one of them since it was a hatchling and it had outgrown its home. I saw the three of them this spring swimming together still and hunting. If you release them early in the season they will adapt and be fine as they were never truly domesticated. The ones I let go also quickly regained their fear of people and won't come near us. That said, be wary of releasing them if they're not indigenous species. I do think sliders are, though.

Please do not release the turtles. Red Eared Sliders are nonindigenous to VA. They can be spotted locally but they are considered invasive, pet escaped/released. Both Maryland and Virginia hold invasive turtle walks to capture them. I know this from volunteering at the animal shelter in Alexandria.