Best skimmer for my system?

SunWyrm

What are your opinions on a good skimmer for my build? 360 and 180 displays with 2 40b and a 55 for sumps for roughly 630ish gallons total. Coral planning is navigating more towards sps but still enjoy our lps and softies. Not too heavy on the fish stocking plans, but we do have a large snowflake eel and now a dog faced puffer going to live in the 180, so I can only imagine what else will find a home in there.

So what do you guys think would be a good skimmer? Tell me some brands you guys use what give had experience with.

Also any vendors that have one in stock they can recommend feel free.

I have always had luck with ASM skimmers though only ever ran them on smaller tanks... a 35g (had a mimi g) on a 150 (had an ASM 3g sized for a 225 I think) in sump, plug and play... not really much tweeking needed..

I have always had luck with ASM skimmers though only ever ran them on smaller tanks... a 35g (had a mimi g) on a 150 (had an ASM 3g sized for a 225 I think) in sump, plug and play... not really much tweeking needed..

I've run larger ASM G5's before and it's not as efficient as the CS3.

deltec hands down.

I use 2 Deltecs currently on smaller systems and while they do work, they aren't as good as an ASM and they're twice the price of anything out there

Atb is good.

I just so happen to use the Giant sized ATB skimmer that is rated for 500+ gallons and it's ENORMOUS! Still more complex than the CS3.

(edited)

I can only recommend one- AVAST CS3. I have one on a 650g total system volume and it rocks.

After Rob, and many others, recommended the Avast CS1, I probably won't use a non-Avast skimmer again. Evan came over a couple of nights ago and I showed him 3 days worth of skimmate that was in my locker and he was impressed - a couple inches of very black thick gunk. I can only imagine how awesome the CS3 is. (And couple it with a skimmate locker and a swabbie - and you have an amazing amazing skimmer - though it's not cheap!)

Edited by Ryan S

What are your opinions on a good skimmer for my build? 360 and 180 displays with 2 40b and a 55 for sumps for roughly 630ish gallons total. Coral planning is navigating more towards sps but still enjoy our lps and softies. Not too heavy on the fish stocking plans, but we do have a large snowflake eel and now a dog faced puffer going to live in the 180, so I can only imagine what else will find a home in there.

So what do you guys think would be a good skimmer? Tell me some brands you guys use what give had experience with.

Also any vendors that have one in stock they can recommend feel free.

I've used the cs1, which was a great skimmer, though too small for your application. The CS3 is probably perfect for your system though I haven't seen it in action.

Some skimmers I looked at for my system (400+ gallons)

sro xp 5000 (currently running, probably the best bang for buck at $650)

vertex 300 (on a buddy's system, great skimmer, pricey at 1300ish)

euroreef 12-2 (had on my old system, workhorse of a skimmer)

also, while they are energy hogs, the downdraft skimmers are also great for systems with high bioloads.

I think Zygote convinced me, though the rest of you have locked me in. Just called Avast, hopefully they give me a call back soon. clap.gif

Those of you that have used the cs3, do you know the dimensions on it? We're trying to finish the plumbing today and want to allow for it.

I think Zygote convinced me, though the rest of you have locked me in. Just called Avast, hopefully they give me a call back soon. clap.gif

Those of you that have used the cs3, do you know the dimensions on it? We're trying to finish the plumbing today and want to allow for it.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/47971-cs-3-recirculating-skimmer/

I use 2 Deltecs currently on smaller systems and while they do work, they aren't as good as an ASM and they're twice the price of anything out there

Then you are doing something wrong. Deltecs perform consistently and last for an eternity. I certainly don't doubt the effectiveness of the Avast CS skimmers and think that is a good way to go. Don't know if you have the room for it, but have you ever thought of going with 2 smaller skimmers? That way when you have to take one down for maintenance your system is not left without a skimmer.

Then you are doing something wrong. Deltecs perform consistently and last for an eternity. I certainly don't doubt the effectiveness of the Avast CS skimmers and think that is a good way to go. Don't know if you have the room for it, but have you ever thought of going with 2 smaller skimmers? That way when you have to take one down for maintenance your system is not left without a skimmer.

I beg to differ about the performance of the Deltecs. One had a pump rebuilt by Deltec and every now and again, it needs to be tapped to be restarted or sometimes completely taken apart. The other one which is slightly only works efficiently when the air valve assembly has been thrown away. I forgot to add that I do maintenance on 2 tanks that ran the HOB Deltecs- one died and was replaced by a Remora. Remora kills the Deltec in a side by side comparison. These skimmers were probably the shiznit back in the day, but there are far better skimmers out there at half the price.

I was going to go with 2 skimmers, but it seems that the maintenance of the avast skimmer is amazing, I can talk to them more easily if I have a problem, and it looks like a pretty nice system all around.

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it!

I like the AVAST skimmers because they are super simple to build, operate, and tweak. Many of the parts are common everyday items that can be found at any hardware store or home depot/lowes. The Sicce 1000 pumps are very reliable and relatively easy to find/order if you need one in a hurry.

If anyone needs help with any troubleshooting or tweaking, I'm always here to ask.

Exactly.

ASM better than Deltec....lmao, yeah, okay....because those POS Sen/Sedra pumps are known to be so good.

I beg to differ about the performance of the Deltecs. One had a pump rebuilt by Deltec and every now and again, it needs to be tapped to be restarted or sometimes completely taken apart. The other one which is slightly only works efficiently when the air valve assembly has been thrown away. I forgot to add that I do maintenance on 2 tanks that ran the HOB Deltecs- one died and was replaced by a Remora. Remora kills the Deltec in a side by side comparison. These skimmers were probably the shiznit back in the day, but there are far better skimmers out there at half the price.

Couldn't say how you managed it.......had one for 7 or 8 years, still running. Number of issues? Zero, zip, zilch. Even ran a week & a helf with a broken impeller shaft (I dropped it). Remora? Had one, POS. About the only worse skimmer on the market is a SeaClown. Must just be me though since I've only seen a ba-gillion "why doesn't my Remora skim" threads.

Lot's of good efficient skimmers but if it will fit I'd pick Avast - why not support the local guys?