ratting noise in skimmer

mling

My 16G nano has a AquaC Remora hand on back skimmer which has been running on it for 8 years. Recently I had to change to pump as it was clearly getting too weak. The new pump, identical to the old, working great and I'm getting lots of skimmate now., however, it is making the skimmer make a rattling noise in the skimmer. I am guessing that the more powerful jet is causing a loose piece in the skimmer to make this noise. I know it is not the new pump as I tried it a another tank and it was totally quiet. I had always thought that skimmer were nothing but panelling and can last forever, maybe 8 year is "forever".

Before I spend the big bucks on getting a replacement skimmer I was wondering if what I concluded above is correct.

I was also thinking that maybe I can take this opportunity for get a new skimmer for my 16G. Any suggestions or should I stick with getting another Aqua Remora ?

Well that's interesting...........the remora is basically just a restrictor nozzle shooting into the water.........what could have come loose.

If I remember when clean you can see through them..........can you hold it up to a light & see if you see something loose? Maybe it's the nozzle piece?

I would think such a simple device would be easy to fix?

I have the same experience with my AquaC Urchin. I always heard the sounds during break in and still hear the clicks for about 5 minutes after startup. My theory is that the sound is from bubbles passing through the nozzle. Is the end of the hose above the water line ingesting air?

Is it possible the pump feeding it is the culprit.

That's what I though at first, but I moved it to another tank and it was super quiet.

I also noticed that when I used the older, weaker pump, the ratting was much lass, but also much less skimmate.

I have the same experience with my AquaC Urchin. I always heard the sounds during break in and still hear the clicks for about 5 minutes after startup. My theory is that the sound is from bubbles passing through the nozzle. Is the end of the hose above the water line ingesting air?

No, the sound is definately not a "bubble sound" since it is a higher pitch sound.

This sound is continuous. I do hear clicks on first start up but those disappear after a min.

try here

I've forwarded the link to my wife :lol2:

You got a spare room tonight ? I might need it.

No, the sound is definately not a "bubble sound" since it is a higher pitch sound.

This sound is continuous. I do hear clicks on first start up but those disappear after a min.

Its more of a crack. In terms we can all speak, its like an angry pistol shrimp. My theory again is that I only hear it for the first 5 minutes because bubbles have built up in the pump/hose and are now being dislodged then the pump cuts off.