Banded Coral Shrimp

Mando77

I'm thinking about getting one of these and all that I have read online is lots of pros and cons. I have lots of critters and would like to mainly get one of these to get rid of bristle worms. There are several different types of Banded Coral Shrimp. Is there a less aggresive more reef safe type? I've never had one and would appreciate any feed back.

I have only had the golden yellow type of coral banded shrimp and it stayed relatively on the smaller side and did not bother my fish. I have heard of the other regular red and white ones going after fish.

(edited)

Yes, a banded coral shrimp is a tastey treat for lots of fish. It's not aggressive towards any.

I have a Coris Wrasse that loves to eat bristle worms.

Edited by Almon

Ive had a rather large coral banded shrimp and it never attacked anything, I thought it was a very cool, and mine was very active. I would definitely buy one again.

I've have one now (bit of a blue belly) and it doesn't bother my fish or corals. Medium size. When I got him he was missing half of one of his arm's (just past the elbow). It was like that for 3-4 molts. Then one day his entire arm was gone. He just had the one arm then. Two weeks later after another molt his missing arm had regrown (claw and all) and was back to having both arms (fully functional). His "new arm" was slightly thinner than his other one. Reminded me of someone who just had a cast taken off and all the muscles had shrunk from no usage. A few months later you cant notice the difference between his arms and would have no idea he ever had a problem. It was totally cool to watch him progress through his molting stages and watch how nature takes it course.

I got a coral banded shrimp once and my fire tore him limb from limb....his arms just came right off.

my fire fish did this to mine in my old tank the day after i put him in. i have a gold one now and he doesnt bother anything. only comes out a lot at night though.

Seriously, a firefish did it? How big was the shrimp and how big was the firefish?

I used to have them and the worst that would happen is that if threatened they would raise their claws in a threatening manner and the fish would stay away. I had the most fascinating bahavior from them. I got a large one which was female, then a couple months later got a very small unsexed one to minimize the chance of a fight. After the large female accepted the small male as a mate, he would often ride all around the aquarium on her back, while she had a turquoise belly full of eggs. Very entertaining.