from ???K to 14000K

GrrrMomma

So I changed the 150w MH bulb I had in the fixture I bought from another reefer off CL. SHe said it had about a year on it 6 months ago. I had no info on the bulb aside from the wattage and the fact it was DE. So I guess I randomly selected a 14K bulb (bought at 10pm online after long day, I may have been judgement impaired). After getting and returning a bulb that didnt work, last night I installed the thing and reset my timer. This morning I get up to see how everythings doing and see I now have a very blue tank. Remeidal reading indicates this what I should expect from 14000K bulb. That said, what are my poor fish and corals gonna do and should I run out for a whiter bulb?

Cool!! I was having a panic attack this morning; trying not to burn the kids' toast while simultaneously checking on all my critters and wondering if I was going to spend Friday night canvassing my LFS! I have just got the new montiporas I got at the winter meeting growing; as well as an awesome birdsnest frag from Pacific East. I will sit tight and see what happens!

question to others for GrrrMomma - since she is going from a 'white' light (maybe 10000K ????) and definitely a new bulb, should she lessen her lighting period?

GrrrMomma - how long was your photo period with the old bulb?

question to others for GrrrMomma - since she is going from a 'white' light (maybe 10000K ????) and definitely a new bulb, should she lessen her lighting period?

GrrrMomma - how long was your photo period with the old bulb?

I was going about 10 hours; I reset the timer for 8 based on reading here on the forum about bulb changes. Any suggestions? Thanks Glenn!

PAR tends to be higher on 10KK lamps than for 14KK and 20KK lamps in general. You can cut back on the photoperiod for safety's sake since they're new lamps, but I'm a little less worried about it than had you changed to a 10KK lamp.

When I started out, I used 10KK lamps. I like the crisp white. However, it wasn't long before I appreciated the colors that came out with higher color temp lamps. 14000K Phoenix lamps are one of my favorites in the DE MH form factor.

It will take at least three days for it to burn in and color shift closer to the stable color the bulb is designed to be at. Reducing the time back eight hours was a smart idea. Just keep an eye on the corals for signs of light stress. You may see some corals expelling zooxanthellae the first couple of weeks until they become adapted to the new lights. Expelling zooxanthellae will look like brown stringy stuff coming out of the mouths of LPS, softies, and anemones. I would slowly increase the time over a couple of weeks to get it back to where you want it. During this light adjustment phase I would not do anythin that might clear the water like add carbon or start a UV or Ozone unit.