Where does a 2" blue velvet nudibranch disappear in a 3 gal pico

Jan

:why: I'm baffled. No ammonia spike. No signs of anything. Where the heck did it go? It's been lost for 3 days. It wiped out all of the flatworms before it vanished. All that's in that tank are 4 sexy shrimp, 10 maxi minis, a few snails, trumpet coral and some bristle worms. Do you think the bristle worms could have eaten it that fast? There's no signs of it anywhere.

Yes, a wine colored one is huge and in the front. I thouhgt about this too but the nudibranch crawled all over them with no problem. Do anemones eat nudibranch?

what about the maxi minis? Any look unusually large?

Darren

Congressional in Rockville MD.

Jan, where did you get the velvet nudi from? I want one as well.

Edited by Jan

I'd think 3 day's is plenty of time for a fragile critter like that to starve out. I have a yellow watchmen goby that I forgot to feed one day. The next morning I woke up and he was working on swallowing a hermit crab. He left the pistol shrimp alone...but went after the hermit while it was trying to exchange its shell. There is a very good/obvious reason why nudi's are not commonly available...

It didn't starve. I was very aware and made sure this nudi had plenty to eat. It ate constantly. It was eating one day and gone the next. The three days is how long I was looking for it. There aren't too many places for a 2" fat nudibranch to go in a 3 gallon pico filled with 10 maxi minis and 4 sexy shrimp. Most likely scenario is that the big red maxi that is now in the front of my tank wide open ate it.

The nudibrnach would work it's way up and down the walls of the tank and rockwork. It would get full, huge, then drop. Several times it dropped onto anemones and the nems never did a thing. I had no reason to believe the anemones was interested in the nudibranch. Nudibranches also secret toxins. After observing this behavior for a few days I was comfortable that they were ok. I'm guessing I missed one.

I'd think 3 day's is plenty of time for a fragile critter like that to starve out. I have a yellow watchmen goby that I forgot to feed one day. The next morning I woke up and he was working on swallowing a hermit crab. He left the pistol shrimp alone...but went after the hermit while it was trying to exchange its shell. There is a very good/obvious reason why nudi's are not commonly available...

No need for an apology. I didn't take anything you said the wrong way or anything.

Blue velvet nudibranch aren't available because people buy them very quickly. They are the only nudibranch that eats planaria(sp).

They are highly sought after for this very reason. I have a huge red spot goby that snatches snails and crabs all the time. Not because it's hungry, I tend to feed too much. It brings it to it's lair. I think it's for the pistol shrimp because there's a pile of empty shells next to it's lair. I'd observe that goby a little closer and maybe look for a lil pile of empty shells.

Oh, I'm sorry...I misread your original post. Good Luck with the Nudibranchs.

No need for an apology. I didn't take anything you said the wrong way or anything.

Blue velvet nudibranch aren't available because people buy them very quickly. They are the only nudibranch that eats planaria(sp).

They are highly sought after for this very reason. I have a huge red spot goby that snatches snails and crabs all the time. Not because it's hungry, I tend to feed too much. It brings it to it's lair. I think it's for the pistol shrimp because there's a pile of empty shells next to it's lair. I'd observe that goby a little closer and maybe look for a lil pile of empty shells.

My pistol shrimp does move pieces of crushed coral from my sand bed to cover it's lair. But has yet to move any empty snail shells. I had three Cortez Hermits in the tank and one outgrew his shell and evacuated which is when the goby sucked him up. I wish I had taken a picture. My little yellow watchman had a mouth full of crab legs. Anyhow since then I've added a couple larger shells and the remaining hermits have successfully swapped out.

I was previously under the impression that nudibranchs were very difficult to care for. It's amazing how much technology has come about over the years to make this hobby more interesting. I don't plan on getting into the sea slugs but I think it's very cool that people are successfully keeping them.