BRS 2 Part Mix

Mando77

Dose anyone use this? I am new to the two part (now using ESV) and have only been doing this for 2 weeks and am now looking at buying the BRS 2 part DIY mix. It looks nice and simple and very cost effective. I have also thought about using this instead on a calcium reactor for when I get my larger tank. I mainly wanted to get thoughts and opinions on the BRS 2 part vs a calcium reactor. What are the pros and cons.

Dose anyone use this? I am new to the two part (now using ESV) and have only been doing this for 2 weeks and am now looking at buying the BRS 2 part DIY mix. It looks nice and simple and very cost effective. I have also thought about using this instead on a calcium reactor for when I get my larger tank. I mainly wanted to get thoughts and opinions on the BRS 2 part vs a calcium reactor. What are the pros and cons.

BRS 2 part is very cost effective for many reefers. Once you get a large big tank full of demanding SPS colonies, then it might become too costly.

I have used BRS 2 part on a 75g tank, 135g tank, and my new 150g tank. I use 2 of their 1.1mL/minute dosers, attached to an apex for timing purposes. Easy as can be. I have a 3 extra 1g BRS jugs for sale if you'd like those as well. You mix 1g in each of alk, mag, cal, drill a hole in the top for the dosing tube, and put it on a controller on a $5 walmart timer, and forget about it.

Thanks for the info. It seems very reasonable. 7-8 gallons of each part is only like $50. I am going to try for a few months or so on two smaller tanks that will be loaded with SPS to try and get a feel for what I do before I get a larger tank. I like the idea of dosing pumps and keeping it simple. I am just interested to see how demanding SPS are once they start growing and what will be needed to maintain.

You can always do a search for Randy Holme's Farley easy 2-part recipes, quite abit cheaper than the BRS mixes

This is what I use. So far in an SPS dominate 90 I only have to add 3 ozs a day of the recipe 2 alk mix. This keeps my alk between 8.5-9.

The ingredients to make the recipes are fairly cheap.

You can always do a search for Randy Holme's Farley easy 2-part recipes, quite abit cheaper than the BRS mixes

He (or someone else) doesn't have a cheaper GFO recipe by chance? BRS Alk/Mag/Calc aren't that expensive IMO (though I will be looking into his recipe anyway. Saving money for the same thing is always okay in my book) - but their GFO is very expensive.

Here is a link to his 2 part. Looks simple enough:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Edited by Ryan S

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you

I bought the BRS 2 part kit but I have a 30 gallon (total volume) tank.. So this would last me for ever... You only need 3 ingredients for building your own DIY 2 part, Baking Soda takes care of alkalinity, Epsons Salt (takes care of Mag.) and Prestone Driveway heat takes care of your calcium..