small maxima clam

Clyde

I just got a very small maxima clam, about 1 inch. It does not want to stay on the rock. Should I just let it be on the substrate? It seems happy there.

Thanx

If it is getting enough light then it is fine on the bottom. It you don't have enough light at the bottom the I would put it back up in the rocks and put small rocks around it to hold it in place until it attaches. Tell us a little more about the tank.

If it is getting enough light then it is fine on the bottom. It you don't have enough light at the bottom the I would put it back up in the rocks and put small rocks around it to hold it in place until it attaches. Tell us a little more about the tank.

I have 24 gal cube. As far as light I have a coralife with actinics and 150w halide. I have about 3 inches of substrate. I think it should have enough light at substrate level. I may put a small flat rock in the sand and put it there.

I have 24 gal cube. As far as light I have a coralife with actinics and 150w halide. I have about 3 inches of substrate. I think it should have enough light at substrate level. I may put a small flat rock in the sand and put it there.

LFS's have these small clam mount/rock things... for like $2.99. I got one from Bankyf. I think he got it from F&F or BRK. You should get one of those for the clam, let the clam attach to it on the sand bed, then after he is attached, you can glue the rock anywhere in your tank you want...

Placement doesn't really matter right now so much as feeding. When they are only 1" they haven't built up enough zooxanthellae to feed themselves and need supplemental feedings. They are primarily filter feeders at this point. That said, the Maximas from what I remember are most often found on top of the rock and sometimes will bore into the rock. They do not typically live in soft substrates and so should be on the rock. I would find a rock that can accommodate it's shape and "cup" it a little bit. Also, once it's attached, leave it alone. Your placement now will be important for later on, but again, right now the lighting while needed is not the primary concern nor will it keep the clam alive. It needs to get to around 2"+ in order to be successful based on photosynthesis.

Placement doesn't really matter right now so much as feeding. When they are only 1" they haven't built up enough zooxanthellae to feed themselves and need supplemental feedings. They are primarily filter feeders at this point. That said, the Maximas from what I remember are most often found on top of the rock and sometimes will bore into the rock. They do not typically live in soft substrates and so should be on the rock. I would find a rock that can accommodate it's shape and "cup" it a little bit. Also, once it's attached, leave it alone. Your placement now will be important for later on, but again, right now the lighting while needed is not the primary concern nor will it keep the clam alive. It needs to get to around 2"+ in order to be successful based on photosynthesis.

+1... Very Very good point.

Look like it going to be ok but keep an eye out for it. It should be fully open and show its colors!

As I said, I put down a small rock in the sand and put the clam on it. Being so small,maybe an inch. How wide should it open? It opens enough that I can see it bright yet small mantle.

As I said, I put down a small rock in the sand and put the clam on it. Being so small,maybe an inch. How wide should it open? It opens enough that I can see it bright yet small mantle.

post-2631540-132882013135_thumb.jpg

My own personal thought is that it should open further than that. You should be able to see it spread its mantle out across the shell and extend them. That one looks to be only partially open, is something bothering it? It's important to take a peek under the mantle and around the scutes and the byssal opening to see if there are any predators on there. Look for small pyramid snails or other things bothering it to keep it from opening like that.

For what it's worth Clyde, I had 2 clams that were about that size and both ended up dying. I think they're very difficult to get to a photosynthetic size, but maybe it was just me. I'd like to try again some day, but chances are I'll just start with a bigger one from the beginning and not a baby.

David posted an interesting article by Rob Toonen, I find that some of the information contradicts what I know and what I've been told by some of the clam "experts" out there but it's backed up by some empirical data.

if you see your clam not open all the way with full mantle in a week then it in the process of dying, such small clam is a bit difficult to keep if you don't have efficient supplement feeding and light, but if you already have clams in your current tank and it doing well there a good chance the small clam will do well! good luck! keep the update!