Before I nuke my tank

onux20

...is there ANY chance, cleaner shrimp babies look like red bugs?

One my cleaners was full of green eggs (no ham, I asked) last week. Now they are gone. Is there any chance what I am seein are the baby cleaners and NOT the red devils!?

I spend quite a bit of time with my nose pressed to the glass looking at my tank. Today I noticed that one coral is covered in what look like red bugs. Like they just popped up over night!!! Well at least since last Thursday!

Ron

My cleaner's babies never survive to hatch. My peppermints though...I don't think they look like red bugs per say, but they are red and bug-like, but not like the planaria.

Well red bugs you will only see on your acros, I doubt shirmp babys only stay on acros. Plus red bugs are actually yellow looking with little red dots on their heads that you can't really see looking into your tank.

Thanks,

I knew it was a long shot but I figured I would ask wamas first in case someone knew differently.

Bomb bay doors coming open...Interceptor bomb awayyyyyyyyy

Last time I saw red bugs they were actually golden and swimming around coral heads when they got excited and then darted back into it when they settled down. Actually it was quite pretty... glad it wasn't my pretty tank, though!

Pretty clear when I blew them up on my computer.

gallery_656_750_691767.jpg

gallery_656_750_791885.jpg

Gonna wait until this weekend and Nuke the tank! Dang this is the second time.

Did you track back to where you might have gotten them from? Was it frags at the meeting? Do you dip before you add your frags? Or did they just not all die from the first treatment?

I see them, they are orange.

If you make a seawater bath with ReVive according to the directions, and dip colonies of Acropora for between 10 and 15 minutes, the Red Bugs will fall off and die.

I dip everything in ReVive before i put it in my tank.

Did you track back to where you might have gotten them from? Was it frags at the meeting? Do you dip before you add your frags? Or did they just not all die from the first treatment?

That's the thing I do and did dip the new coral. Probably 20min. Saw NOTHING in the water afterwards and I also gave them vigorous swishing in un treated water. Inspected coral and water in a dark room w a flashlight! Maybe that second beer clouded my vision.

Regardless, I have bugs. Gonna try and catch my cleaners before I start but they are pretty smart.

I always thought revive or any other dip doesn't kill red bugs. I thought interceptor was the only thing proven to kill them? I dip everything in revive and managed to get them still. I always do 15 min baths with a little extra dip in there.

I always thought revive or any other dip doesn't kill red bugs. I thought interceptor was the only thing proven to kill them? I dip everything in revive and managed to get them still. I always do 15 min baths with a little extra dip in there.

The first time I had them I put the infected coral and revive and they came off. Visibly PO'd that they had been found. Not sure I hung out long enough to see if they died. For sure they dont like Revive. Had I seen any during my dip I would have kept that coral out of the tank. Woudld not hav ebeen the first time I threw coral away before they even saw my tank!

Anyway, I am home a little early today so today is the day.

Cleaner shrimp babies are not red and swim all over the place but they don't dart anywhere. They are kind of lousy swimmers.

I also don't see any red bugs and if I did, I would leave them alone before I nuked anything.

For those that cant see the bugs and as a "what to look for". I tried to point out where they are in the pic. I drew black lines to just a few of them. If there is any way for you to copy the photo then blow up on your home 'puter, do so. You will be able to see this frag covered in little yellow dots. Those dots are red bugs. That is what you should be looking for on your acros if suscpect something is wrong.

gallery_656_750_248608.jpg

sorry bro you are unfortunately right those definitely look like red bugs in the second picture. :( Time to kill those suckers.

Well the treatment is about over.

I was busy with family stuff so I missed the actual time of death. For the record, it happens between hours 3 and 5.

The cleaners look fine.

I am about to do a change and hang some carbon.

Not sure why I went with just five hours. Ended up being about 5.5 since my water was just short of 1.026 when I went to do the change. No intent to go with a second dose. If they pop back up I will post here.

Ron

Not sure why I went with just five hours. Ended up being about 5.5 since my water was just short of 1.026 when I went to do the change. No intent to go with a second dose. If they pop back up I will post here.

Ron

Hey dude, I had major red bugs and did 2 treatments as Interceptor doesn't kill eggs efficiently or maybe at all but they will hatch and you'll have red bugs again after your first treatment. I haven't seen any since, but I would definitely recommend a second treatment one week after the first. The experts out there suggest 3 treatments. Those are definitely red bugs you have there. Mine looked very similar, yellow with red dots:

6797843957_e759fd739d_z.jpg