What causes a BTA to split?

PoggiPJ

I'm guessing that this is one of those areas where there are alot of possible answers, but nothing definitive. I have two RBTAs that are getting pretty large - roughly 10" in diameter. Do they split when they attain a certain size? Is it a water condition thing? Do I need to dim the lights and show them a movie?

thay can split when the water is changed, when you take them out of your tank and bag them, on their way to their new home, or when you feed them meaty foods.....they split when they want to is what I've gotten from all the messages I've read.

You can split/frag them if you like. It's very easy to do. Chip has a video on you tube and so do I.

I'm guessing that this is one of those areas where there are alot of possible answers, but nothing definitive. I have two RBTAs that are getting pretty large - roughly 10" in diameter. Do they split when they attain a certain size? Is it a water condition thing? Do I need to dim the lights and show them a movie?

I think the many reasons they split are typically stress related.

Ok thanks. Then I guess I'll just have to sneak up on it when it isn't looking and scare it.

when mine was stinging a coral next to it, i poke it with a stick several times a day to get it to move. after a couple of days poking, it disappeared, then couple days later, two showed up in two different locations on the opposite side of the tank.

Edited by hlem

You can split/frag them if you like. It's very easy to do. Chip has a video on you tube and so do I.

I doubt that I have the nerve to do that, but would be interested in seeing the video.

I think the many reasons they split are typically stress related.

I agree with that. From observations, they don't just tear themselves apart to reproduce unless it is stress related. If they aren't stressed then they will reproduce sexually, that totally clouds the tank up when they do that.