wow im an idiot

schenktank

when i first set up my new tank i was freaking out because i thought i found a bunch of juvenile mantis shrimp. just realized after watching a big sucker this mornin that theyre isopods. fish lice? will this be a problem in a nano tank?

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

"If you can catch the fish, the isopod may be removed with a pair of forceps. Carefully!!! Upon removal, the fish should be isolated in a hospital tank, and treated with antibiotics until the wound heals. The bug may be disposed of. Carefully!!! About 15 years ago, I had a student who was holding in her clenched hand a 1.5 inch long Aegid. The bug cut through the flesh of her palm, dug in, and started to eat HER. Her vocal response was rather impressive. So was the tenacity of the isopod, it was HARD to remove!"

wow thats really startling. i am positive the last one i saw was a aegid or a cirulanoid i have to look at the eyes better next time but im leaning toward aegid. i guess ill have to keep on the lookout for them and try to remove them. something always ends up biting me. this should be fun.

wow thats really startling. i am positive the last one i saw was a aegid or a cirulanoid i have to look at the eyes better next time but im leaning toward aegid. i guess ill have to keep on the lookout for them and try to remove them. something always ends up biting me. this should be fun.

roflmao

yea its definitly cino..whatever. i just found the one from this morning dead and removed it. thanks for the info mista vice president. i guess he died in the 2-6 month range like there known to. hopefully this will keep happening, three down...who knows how many to go. creepy lookin little devil. eyes look like a fly's almost. wiah i could get a good pic

Where did you get the rock from? I'd let them know that they've got these as they can really decimate a tank and also cause injury to people. I'd recommend treating the rock somehow to get rid of them if you are positive with your ID. Figure out what conditions will kill them off and then do it...

<br />I would throw the rock away. Or give it to My mother in law.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You must love love love your mother in law. Admirable!

got the rock from a place in glen burnie called house of tropicals. it looks alot like the garf rock though. really nice rock besides the whole isopod problem. saw a piece in there yesterday with big feather dusters and 3 open brains on it. ill definitely let them know though.

really cant afford to throw it away. only have a oscelaris and a red headed goby in there. i would hate to see them get the lice on them but if the isopods cant find a host they should die eventually right? i feel like with the two months the tank has been up and running with no fish they would be too weak to easily get on the fish.

I'm an idiot too then because when I came back into the hobby I didn't know about WAMAS when I purchased my Nano cube and LR from someone on CL. I saw these large flat roach looking things that moved really fast scurrying around the rocks and asked the seller what they were. She said, scary looking aren't they. Well yes, but what are they? Just crustaceans, is what I was told. I took the rock home and luckily had to cycle my tank. The cycling must have caused these critters to die off. I was actually disappointed that I didn't see them again. who would have known? You're no idiot!

I don't agree with you on this. If/when they reproduce their offspring will be small enough to latch on to your fish. Move your fish to QT, reduce the SG in your tank, re-cycle and be at peace. If they attach to your fish you'll have a much harder time treating. They'll get weak and those pests may attach to you too. Not worth it, IMO.

really cant afford to throw it away. only have a oscelaris and a red headed goby in there. i would hate to see them get the lice on them but if the isopods cant find a host they should die eventually right? i feel like with the two months the tank has been up and running with no fish they would be too weak to easily get on the fish.

I'm with Jan, these things are too nasty to take any chances. With only 2 fish you could set up a small/cheap qt temporarily and a qt is always something you want to have for emergencies like this.

Edit: After research it seems that they will starve after 2-6 months without fish. And they will go through small fish rather quickly. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php

I now have a nightmare to surpass bristleworms.

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Wow...well this is scary. Makes my decision to not purchase live stock from House of Tropicals now extend to live rock or really anything alive now...

Schentank I have a 15G with a 10G for sump with filter, heater, protein skimmer and a HOB overflow you can have for free to use as a QT if you need it. I was going to sell it but it's yours for free if you come pick it all up. Once you're done with it pass it on to someone else who can use it. If you're interested (and have room for them) message me and we can arrange for a time to pick it up. Only thing you'd need to get for it is a better pump to push water from the sump to the main tank, a $30 Maxi-jet 1200 would work fine I imagine. The Maxi-jet 600 I have isn't really going to cut it.