Lighting A Sump

Formerly Freshwater

I have almost finished gathering supplies for and setting up my 37 Gallon bow front saltwater fish tank, and I recently received a nice HOB sum/skimmer setup for the tank. I need to light the sump, but I don't want to buy the really expensive lights from the pet store, nor do I want to do a complex hanging system, and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what kinds of mass market bulbs and clips I could use to set up a DIY light in the sump. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me the brand names for the clips and/or bulbs so I would know that it was reef safe and could grow the proper algae. Thanks for your consideration!

Marc Levenson (aka Melev) put this post up some years ago. You may be interested in reading it just for the results that he received and how they correlated to the bulb temperature. In the end, he found that he received better macroalgae growth using a 5100K lamp than with a 2700K lamp. He provides a recommendation for a specific lamp, but you may be able to find a suitable replacement that you can find in local stores vice mail ordering it. Note, in his final pictures, the hanging arrangement can be easily had by taking the reflector / spring clamp off of the portable clamped work light that I referenced above, leaving you with a socket and cord.

http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

I bought one of those lamps to put on my refugium after reading that awhile back, I grew great red algae under it and my chaeto turned to mush and died. Have gone back to the CFL 60w light bulb with new chaeto and it's growing well. Just my experience.

I bought two (still have one that I never used) and had OK performance. At least my chaeto didn't die off.

Would a halogen floodlight work? The algae I plan to use is currently growing well off just two florescent floods in a shallow(ish) sump.

My personal feeling is that halogens are too yellow and run too hot.

I use a 6500k flourescent twist bulb I got at lowes with a clip on reflector. Works great and it was cheap.

a flood CFL is your best bet. a halogen will get too hot. for that size a single CFL flood 5000k-6500k will grow macroalgae best, specifically in my experience with chaeto. i went from a 2500k bulb and barely grew chaeto. then after reading that a 6000k would do the best, went and got the highest i could find at homdepot (5000k) and now my chaeo grows a dense fist full amount every two weeks. i am a heavy coral feeder, though.

if you don't get the flood CFL, get the CFL and use the home depot clamp work light reflector that are six or eight bucks to direct the light into the refugium.

good luck and keep up to date with your success!

• 3 weeks later...

I just built an LED fixture out of leftover parts, for my sump. It is running 600 PAR at the surface, and the chaeto is exploding. Apparently you can't have too much light in a fuge.