New Yasha Hase

Hilary

Sometimes I can't believe the little melodramas that go on in my tanks. My tiger pistol (who is a good 3" long) lost his buddy last October. I've added new fish to the tank since then (no shrimp gobies), and it's totally ignored them. I finally got around to adding another shrimp goby the other day, though (the yasha hase), and the shrimp was out of its burrow in a heartbeat poking at the fish. I could almost imagine that it was saying "Hey, hey, over here - the burrow is over here!" The yasha promptly moved away. So the pistol came out of another entrance right in front of the fish, and poked at it again. The fish moved away. Never very far - just out of reach. Poke. Move. Poke. Move. I came back hours later after lights out, and they were still playing this game. It's been a couple of days, and now the yasha perches on top of the rockwork to get away from it. Poor pistol! I still hope they'll work it out, but I may eventually have to suck it up and get another shrimp goby just for it. :rolleyes:

The good news is that at least the yasha is out where I can enjoy it instead of hanging out in the burrow!

I like to stick my finger in the Pistol Shrimps' cave and 'fight' with it. He snaps his claw just barely in contact with my finger. Quite an impressive amount of force in that tiny claw.

The runaway bride-to-be. Poor fellow shrimp. He has built a house, went thru a heartbreak and now when he thought he was ready to love again, a cold rejection. She will come around and realize, hopefully!

Well, whether she fell in love with the house or with the industrious pistol, all is now happy in the burrow home. Yasha is hanging out guarding the burrow, and pistol is busy once again stealing or burying my corals. Happy ending for all (except for my corals, of course).