Vibration Pads & Sound Reducing Pads?

Ryan S

Does Home Depot or Lowe's have:

1) Sound Dampening Pads like these, but preferably cheaper, different sizes, or even thinner? (to be placed under maxi jets in the sump, mag 9.5 return pump, etc).

2) Some sort of padding or foam I could attach to the inside of my stand to reduce the sound coming out of the sump area?

Edited by Ryan S

cheaper than 4.99????? :unsure:

Cost isn't really the prohibitive factor, but it's $5 for a piece that's only 3.75"x3.75". I figured home depot might have them in sheets or rolls, but are only 1/4" or 1/2" thick, instead of 1" thick perhaps?

Guest thefishman65

If they are clean I don't think you need the zip lock. IMHO it will leak eventually and may cause stagnant zones.

Alright. I don't have any old ones, but I could get them cheap enough at microcenter. I could then cut them to fit the 2 Maxi-Jets I am concerned about perfectly. I figure they should help with vibration and sound, at least a little bit. Now I need to find something to put on the inside of the wood in the stand to lessen sound. Do any of you use stuff for that as well?

Mouse pads. If you were here in Herndon, I could probably scrounge up some. Since my company recently changed it's name, we were tossing out a lot of new mousepads with the old name.

I've seen people staple this stuff to the inside of the stand. I don't know where you can find it locally.

http://www.foambymail.com/EC1-5-F-CH/1-5-eggcrate-foam.html

yeah, I've seen the foam before. Not sure I can get it to fit inside very well. Have you seen this stuff before? Much thinner, and would be easy to cover the interior of the stand with a layer of it (assuming it works).

I just use styrofoam sheets. I put them under pumps inside my sump then agin under the tanks(both display and sump) seems to do the trick... just hear a mild hum sound which I have actually grown kind of fond of. (BTW my sump has 2 mags and a maxi going at all times)