problem with Icecap 660 ballast

seppler

I have a 660 ballast running qty 3 T5 bulbs that has just started acting funny. When turned on, the lights come on for 1 second then turn off. This is repeatable, so I don't think a fuse or breaker is blowing. Questions:

1) Has anyone seen this problem before?

2) Since it appears ICECAP inc is out of business does anyone recoommend a place to repair them? I found this link on Google but know nothing about them.

http://coralvue.com/troubleshooting/lighting/icecap-660-430-fluorescent-ballast-repair/

3) Is anyone aware of a replacement product out there?

-Rob

Rob,

It's not an uncommon problem with IceCap ballasts. IIRC, it means a bulb isn't seated properly.

Jon

+1

It sounds like either the filament in one of the bulbs is broken or the bulb isn't seated correctly. Try replacing the bulbs with new ones.

Chris Conti the former owner of IceCap went to go work for CoralVue when IceCap closed. That is why CoralVue is taking on the repair of the old Icecap ballasts. He brought over the knowledge and supply info to do that.

Thanks for the help. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Checked fuse, it is fine.

2. took out all the bulbs and tried them 1 at a time. I found this odd behavior:

a. Any single bulb will turn on to full brightness for 1-2 seconds in the front or back slots.

b. A single bulb in the middle slot only turns on to about 5% brightness then immediately turns off.

c. Two bulbs installed at same time, one middle & one back slot, both turn on to full brightness and then off.

So far, I have come to the following conclusions:

1) It is not the bulbs or how they are seated

2) Something is up with the middle slot, but it is not the wires to the caps, I checked them

3) It is in the ballast.

My next step is to open up the ballast and take a look, even though it appears to be riveted shut.

If I can't fix it, I am curious what would be advised:

1. Send to Coralvue for repair

2. Buy one new or used

3. Try to find a substitute

any thoughts are appreciated.

Rob Eppler (engineer husband of Sharon)