FINAL COST on DIY LED Fixtures

Annap729

Okay everyone. Looking to build 3 units. They will run on my 6' long 125 hung inside my canopy, and these are the features i want:

Cree LED

Dimmable

14k-20k final color

Timers as well

What is my list of equipment, and what will the entire solution cost me?

What are the newest features coming out in LED's that one might want? I know about dimmability to control color, and timers.

there is alot of parts for a DIY LED... the best question to ask is are you doing it yourself or having someone do it for you?

You could buy commercial units... or at about 50% buy all the pieces, but if you've seen any of the threads on them it is TIME CONSUMING to do (this is why I will be making my husband build mine)

there is alot of parts for a DIY LED... the best question to ask is are you doing it yourself or having someone do it for you?

You could buy commercial units... or at about 50% buy all the pieces, but if you've seen any of the threads on them it is TIME CONSUMING to do (this is why I will be making my husband build mine)

yes, i believe the parts are:

LEDS

Drivers

Dimmers

Heatsinks

wires

Powercords(?)

Lenses-I think i am going lens-less as my fixture is about 6 inches over water, and buried inside of a canopy.

Anyway, i'm wondering what the parts cost would be, and then if someone wants to build, what would they charge? I know we can do group buys, etc and i've sort of followed the posts, but i'm looking for a simple answer....$200 per fixture, $150 per fixture, etc. I only hear that cree is the way to go, and any other LED's arent worth it, blah blah blah. i sort of feel like it's splitting hairs tho, as long as you get the right spectrum and don't overdrive, what's the big deal?

Okay everyone. Looking to build 3 units. They will run on my 6' long 125 hung inside my canopy, and these are the features i want:

Cree LED

Dimmable

14k-20k final color

Timers as well

What is my list of equipment, and what will the entire solution cost me?

What are the newest features coming out in LED's that one might want? I know about dimmability to control color, and timers.

fishman65 is the one you need to talk to. he can give you an exact figure.

<br />4 of these would run $680 total:<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-Watt-Aquarium-Coral-Reef-LED-Grow-Light-120W-/140630708641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be3e51a1#ht_5853wt_904' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.ebay.com/...1#ht_5853wt_904</a><br />

<br /><br /><br />

Yah I saw those but I'm hearing how they aren't good blue spectrum..plus I want dimmable..

Ryan... I wouldnt buy any chinese made light fixture and use it above my tank... I have heard (and seen) horror stories about the bad wiring ( I was an apt. maint. sup)

plus for as much as they want and that vendor apparently has a hard time getting stuff to people, I would spend the extra to get the right stuff the first time...

Guest thefishman65

Price flucuate and it depends on what you want to keep, but here is my guess

36 neutral white XM-L at $9 so $324

72 Royal blue XT-E at $4 so $288

2 HLG drivers (white at upto 1.47 amps, blue at upto .733 amps) $115 so $230

misc parts for parallel wiring $20.65

2 power cords $2 each so $4

2 pots for dimming $1 or $2

This comes to about $900

The big missing item is the heat sink you can get surplus for as low as $36 or online for $200 depends on what you want.

The pricing has manual control with the pots for dimming add 2 timers and you could be good. Add an Arduino type controller for $50 or so or an pro unit (AC, Apex,etc.) for a few hundred.

You might get by with a little less LEDs since the tanks only 72x18. My guess is that this would be the same as about three 400 watt mh.

FWIW, the final cost for everything on my fixture was around $1200. It is a 66 3W LED fixture. I have more of a cost breakdown in my thread.

(edited)

Thanks Chad. I read it briefly, but didn't see that bottomline amount.

Thanks for the reply Fishman! i want the option to keep SPS. makes no sense to build one of these and limit myself to LPS.

5 questions-

1)I see you switched from meanwells to HLGs. Any reason?

2)define a "few" less LEDs biggrin.gif

3) explain why you like the neutral white-are those white white, or more in the lower K range?

3a) WHy xm-L for white-is it the greater efficiency?

4) why XT-E for royal blue?

Edited by Annap729

The parts list is here (no prices here, but can dig them up with a little google time)

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/45516-chads-led-fixture/page__view__findpost__p__381100

And a more generic price breakdown is here

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/45516-chads-led-fixture/page__view__findpost__p__395620

Guest thefishman65

1) HLG are made by meanwell. They supply 4.4 amps rather than 1.3 amps and they are PFC( power factor corrected). Too many of the ELN variety may cause electrical issue in the house.

2) You might manage 24 per section (about a 250 MH)

3) Neutral whites are 3700-5500. While that sound bad we really do (IMHO) want some read. My Flame Angles is orange, my copper band is yellow. Shine an incandescent flashlight on them and they turn redder and coppierer(?). If you want more blue just turn the whites down or the blues up, but a tank with no red is not what we want.

3a) XM-L produce more light per watt and can run at much higher wattage than the XP-Gs. So you can use fewer and less of the energy is turned into heat. For the same light they will pay for themselves in electrical savings.

4) XT-E see 3a :)