New here.......

NYfan78

Hey everyone. Tom has turned me on to this forum. There seems to be a ton of great info from everyone which i will definitly need lol. I am not new to fish keeping but new to saltwater. I used to keep African Cichlidsbut I am ready to take the next step into the marine word.

I will be starting out with a RedSea MAx 130 tank and all (thanks Tom). I know I want to get a ATO but how to set that up I dont have a clue. As of that I have nothing else. Any help through out this journey will be much appreciated.

Oh yeah I will be joining and coming to some meetings.

Welcome to WAMAS, Scott! You'll find this a great community and will make a lot of friends here. Enjoy!

Welcome to the club! My first fish was African cichlids also I still like them but don't have time to take care lots of tanks. Salt water more stuffs to enjoy such colorful fish, corals, shrimp, crab etc...but need more time and $ :biggrin:

Welcome to a great community! You are among great people here, who are willing to help and answer any questions you would have!

I would definitely start a "dedicated tank" thread if I were you. If you can take some pictures and give specifics about your tank, rest of the members can better help you down the road knowing your equipment, and so on...

As for the ATO, I started with an old 3 gal acrylic tank for RODI water, AVAST ATO gadgets and a Toms Aqautic Aqua lifter. It is a small pump which can dose/add water in small quantities. Paired with the AVAST ATO, it works like a charm.

You can also check out my tank thread to see some pictures.

Welcome again!

Edited by Reefoholic

Just brought home the RedSea Max 130. It looks awesome. Huge thanks to Tom for going over the whole tank and more with me, very much appreciated!!!

Welcome. Take the time to read and read. Do searches on each subject that you feel you need to learn about. But don't let this stop you from asking questions. I kept large marine tanks for many years but was out of the hobby for 8 years this last time. The state of the art had advanced that I felt like a total beginner again.

Ok here is a question.... When first filling the tank up, do i need to

Let the newly mixed saltwater sit for a day before i start fill up the tank or can i just add it as i mix it up??? I understand once that tank is filled and im doing. Water change

I have to let the new saltwater mix sit for a day before hand.

With a new tank, Scott, you can mix up the saltwater right in the tank. Turn the pumps on to keep it circulating.

Ok thanks Tom thanks. Ill have to see how much salt is and decide whether to mix it myself or just buy premixed.