Leather corals releasing toxins

Cris

Hi, can anyone tell me if when you make frags from a leather coral it releases toxins into your tank? If so, is there a way to minimize this so I can give some frags away? Thanks, cris

I don't frag corals in my tank. I take them out, place them on a container (with tank water) and do all of my fragging from the container. Then I place them back in the display, in a frag tank or they're given away immediately.

Most all corals release some toxins when they are injured/fragged/stressed. In turf wars it's called allelopathy. I think it's the same chemical. I've never seen any negative results from fragging.

Make sure to have some flow on the frags. Softies can and do get brown jelly disease from injurys if there isn't enough flow.

Hi, can anyone tell me if when you make frags from a leather coral it releases toxins into your tank? If so, is there a way to minimize this so I can give some frags away? Thanks, cris

I always run carbon and just like Jan, I try to frag my corals in a separate container. Fragging in a separate container saves you the trouble to deal with that slime released afterwards.

Given that, my leather coral frags itself. It usually splits right below one of the "fingers" and then releases that after some time. At some point last month I had so many little leather corals in my tank that I gave some away and cleaned/terminated the rest.

I would also recommend using a scalpal if you have one or can get one (or a razor blade would work). Makes for nice clean cuts that heal much fatser IME.

Edited by trockafella

Thanks for all your help everyone. I have never done this and I am being given a large leather coral on Saturday. I saw a few other people wanted a piece so I was hoping I could share my good fortune. Jan, if I have any more questions, I'll call you. Thanks again everyone. Cris

I would also recommend using a scalpal if you have one or can get one (or a razor blade would work). Makes for nice clean cuts that heal much fatser IME.

+1 on using a scalpel if you have one available.

A good pair of sharp SS scissors is also a good option.

+1 on SS scissors. They do a great job.

+1 on using a scalpel if you have one available.

A good pair of sharp SS scissors is also a good option.

After you cut it I would let it sit in a container outside the tank for at least 30 minutes before placing it back into the tank.

This can always be a fine option when fragging soft corals that are accused of releasing turpinoids into the water column. As long as the water capacity in the fragging container is large enough so as not to self pollute the new frag and mother colony I'd keep my eye on temp and pH as well.

I usually frag and mount outside of water and after mounting, place in my frag tank in a good flow area anyhow.

All great advice above. To answer the original question, I believe leather corals are one of the worst at releasing toxins. I frag mine in the tank because I can't get it out. It releases a cloud of toxins when it is cut Run carbon and skim heavy but taking it out is a far better option.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.462544,-76.952310