Sickness around tank?

darkcirca

Doh! Good catch, Tom!

I didn't mean to imply that it cannot be aerosolized. I was trying to say that we know how to prevent exposure to the toxins and pathogens in the tank. In the lab, we have special containment hoods that suck the aerosolized toxins out of the local environment. But yes -- at home, you'll need a respirator or great ventilation (like outside your home). I wouldn't boil or "cook" anything inside a building, just in case.

It may not be palytoxin. However, a couple of interesting things stand out to me about darkcirca's story include: 1) Worked around the tank and changed water, taking about an hour last weekend with no issues; 2) symptoms after handling rock with palys two days in a row; 3) husband has symptoms but didn't handle rock; and 4) quick onset of flu-like symptoms which pass overnight.

It could be mold, but how long has the tank been set up? It sounds like it's been a while since it was "neglected for 6-8 months." Why would mold be such a problem this week, but not last? What's changed? It could be an immune response - a recently developed sensitivity - but for two people to trigger the same way at the same time to a recently acquired sensitivity seems awfully coincidental. I guess that one could always spend some time down there admiring the tank, but not handling anything and seeing if that triggers something? Whatever it is, it would be nice to get to the root of it so you can enjoy your tank.

(edited)

It may not be palytoxin. However, a couple of interesting things stand out to me about darkcirca's story include: 1) Worked around the tank and changed water, taking about an hour last weekend with no issues; 2) symptoms after handling rock with palys two days in a row; 3) husband has symptoms but didn't handle rock; and 4) quick onset of flu-like symptoms which pass overnight.

It could be mold, but how long has the tank been set up? It sounds like it's been a while since it was "neglected for 6-8 months." Why would mold be such a problem this week, but not last? What's changed? It could be an immune response - a recently developed sensitivity - but for two people to trigger the same way at the same time to a recently acquired sensitivity seems awfully coincidental. I guess that one could always spend some time down there admiring the tank, but not handling anything and seeing if that triggers something? Whatever it is, it would be nice to get to the root of it so you can enjoy your tank.

The tank has been in this house for about 1.5 years, and prior to that was setup for about 3 years? Maybe a little longer. We moved here in 2009, but couldn't move our tank until we renovated the basement. I wish I didn't neglect it all this time, as it's come back to haunt me. Planning a wedding was so time consuming, and stressful, with numerous family problems coming up. At least it's passed now, and I can focus on things that I enjoy.

I spent about 45mins today cleaning lizard cages and just putting some things away downstairs, just to 'see' what happens. I've owned lizards for over 10 years, so I can't really see an issue with them. I decided to chlorhexidine all cages as well. There's only 7 lizards down there now, down from 20 something..

After cleaning cages I decided I'd suck it up and do a 10 gallon water change. Broke out my giant blue/orange gloves I bought years ago (and never used) and used them to remove water from the tank, as I add some/remove some/repeat. Water change was done, probably down there 1.5 hours total including the lizard time. After about an hour down there I did open the sliding glass door - more out of convenience, since I dump the water out back. Left it open for the last half hour.

No issues so far. Maybe I'll go sit down there for a bit and stare at the fish. If we had a nicer TV downstairs I'd go down there to watch, but that old giant monster just isn't that fun to stare at...

Edited by darkcirca