Quick question

Kingumar

How long can you keep saltwater prepared for a water change?

I am wondering if it goes "bad"?

I normally mix it for 24 hrs and do a water change. I want to always have saltwater ready in a larger container so i dont have to go through the mixing process every week.

Lets say, can i have it sit with pump and heater for 2-3 weeks at least?

im not sure everyone do but i mix my water about 2-3 hours before i change my water. i use large pump to make sure all salt gone and mix well before i change.

I try to mix and aerate at least overnight. I don't see how it could "go bad." However, if it has been sitting for a while, evaporation may have altered the salinity so you need to test it and add in some fresh water as needed before using.

I have a 160 gallon neoprene container with powerhead and heater. Water probably stays in there for 2-3 months occasionally depending on water changes. Not sure why there would be a problem other then a little evaporation (though the container is pretty much covered).

Sometimes water that is just sitting (especially really pure RO water) can harbor bacteria picked up from dust in the air... you can easliy fix this, however, by adding a little bleach to the water and then using sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate it prior to use. If you are going to routinely store water for long periods, this is what I would recommend.

I would recommend keeping the container shielded from light so algae doesn't grow in it. Double check salinity before using. If using a mix with high calcium and buffers you can get a white film in the container while it is being stored.

I am always amused when someone askes if it is ok to keep newly mixed water in a container with a pump and or heater for a prolonged period of time. How is it any different then that big glass box with all your fishes in it? Does that water go bad?

IMO as long as you have movement its ok to have it in an unsealed container.