Electricty Rates

Origami

I saw this article online today talking about how much we pay, on average, on our electricity bills. This affects all of us.

The article had a link to tabular data (in PDF form) for all states.

I copied the data and sorted it by rate - least to most - and highlighted our the rates in our area.

The national average is 11.54 cents per kWh (kilowatt-hour). Virginians pay, on average, 10.45 cents. DC'ers, 14.01 cents. Marylanders, 14.32 cents.

Here's the table (just in case the links ever go stale).

gallery_2631296_685_237008.jpg

Thanks for the data, Tom. I actually didn't know that DC was so much higher than VA... yet another reason to move out of the city. mellow.gif

Ewww.... VA has everything.... lower electricity, more active local fish store, more Wamas members, chaper cigarette price (actually I don't smoke).... Why am I still stuck in MD?

They also have personal property tax on their cars EVERY year... Plus, Maryland is just a better state. We do have the most millionaires after all...

We don't have PEPCO as our service provider.

Oh yeah, that's a plus, too.

We're stuck at 40% (I think) phase out of the car tax. (BTW, that doesn't go to the electric company.) Our sales tax is cheaper. I guess, in the end, the state gets the money from you they want (need?) regardless of the label they put on it. Surrender. :ph34r:

Guest thefishman65

It is interesting to note the average bills. It says something about the size of the house or how well insulated they are.

maybe away from 9.75% sales tax?

regardless of the label they put on it. Surrender. ph34r.gif

So true.

not sure how ture that is i live in wv mine is 200.00 month and we have a wood FURNICE heats my house and WATER and still have 200 month wonder how much $ my TANK coasts to run a month??

^that makes me wonder what your neighbor's electricity bill is per month

not sure how ture that is i live in wv mine is 200.00 month and we have a wood FURNICE heats my house and WATER and still have 200 month wonder how much $ my TANK coasts to run a month??

I think that the average utility bill is going to depend on a lot of factors, including

The size of the space you're heating

Architecture and siting (single family, town house, or ? North facing, south facing, etc., In-ground basement, above ground)

The heat/cooling losses (insulation, trees, etc.)

The outside temperature; the inside thermostat setting

The fuel, method, number and efficiency of appliances (including whether or not you have a tank(!), lighting type, etc.)

Alternate power usage (such as wood stoves)

Those a just a few factors that come to mind. If you have a big tank with three or four 400W metal halides over the top that burn brightly for 8-10 hours per day, you're probably not the average consumer whose bill they're highlighting here.

Guest thefishman65

Are you saying the folks on WAMAS are not average - now that is a big surprise :)

One more reason for me to keep considering a move to West Virginia.

I think that the average utility bill is going to depend on a lot of factors, including

The size of the space you're heating

Architecture and siting (single family, town house, or ? North facing, south facing, etc., In-ground basement, above ground)

The heat/cooling losses (insulation, trees, etc.)

The outside temperature; the inside thermostat setting

The fuel, method, number and efficiency of appliances (including whether or not you have a tank(!), lighting type, etc.)

Alternate power usage (such as wood stoves)

Those a just a few factors that come to mind. If you have a big tank with three or four 400W metal halides over the top that burn brightly for 8-10 hours per day, you're probably not the average consumer whose bill they're highlighting here.

lol 3yr old new home 2x6 but that really donst matter our wood furn heats the entire house and our water so we dont pay for heat well whatever the fan runs NO hot water tank

lol 3yr old new home 2x6 but that really donst matter our wood furn heats the entire house and our water so we dont pay for heat well whatever the fan runs NO hot water tank

Now, like Chad, I wonder what your neighbor's bill is like, or if he even gets one. :biggrin: