New air adjustment valve question

ohaverd

I was looking up ways to improve my seaclone 100 skimmer, I read that a new air adjustment valve works. Anyone know where to get a quality valve at? Is this a pet store thing or can I get it from a hardware store?

Also, if anyone has any other tips on seaclone mods, I'd appreciate them.

Seaclone Mods

Step 1 Place seaclone in large bin.

Step 2 Place large bin next to curb that night.

Step 3 Retrieve empty bin from curb next morning.

There's a diy mod out there that I used back in the day that described getting rid of the stock airline valve and replacing it with a air valve that you can pick up at Petco or Petsmart. It said to shorten the inner reaction tube by an inch and a half to give longer contact time before reaching the collection cup. Try searching diy seaclone mods it's out there somewhere. I did it and got mine to produce good skimmate. I've since then gone on to more expensive upgrades.

I threw mine in the trash. My old airstone driven skimmer worked twice as well as the Seaclone!

Seaclone Mods

Step 1 Place seaclone in large bin.

Step 2 Place large bin next to curb that night.

Step 3 Retrieve empty bin from curb next morning.

This is the usual response for those who couldn't make them work :tongue:. However, I have been running a seaclone 100 as a spare during maintenance periods and it absolutely rocks. The biggest flaw with this skimmer is the air valve. Find a valve that allows you to make minute adjustments and you'll be in good shape. Also, cut the air tube so that it is pointing straight up instead of draping over the side. This will make it easier for you to clean it out with RODI water once per week.

(edited)

Thanks for the advice, I especially liked the trash can one lol... I know it isnt great but until I can talk the wife into letting me upgrade, I'm trying to get the most out of it. I did find a cool mod where a guy turned his seaclone 100 into a nano refugium, maybe I'll try that once I get a new skimmer.

Edited by ohaverd