Cinnamon Palys staying closed!!

Annap729

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no please I don't mind the info you're helping :). You just want to make sure I dont buy up the lfs and start killing things like so many do.

I have the poly pads -maybe that's it. how do you change them and keep the denitrifying bacteria in there?

Ahhh, that's it! You need to rinse that pad in RO/DI, replace or get rid of it all together. That's definately a huge part of the problem right there. I could not bring nitrates down below 40 in my nano because of the filter pad. I ended up converting the back of my JBJ into a refugium because no matter what I did I could not bring down those nitrates. I started out rinsing and it didn't do anything then I replaced it with rubble rock and eventually I put a light back there and added chaeto. It's the pad and the dirty brine.

If I rinse the pads in freshwater will that kill the denitrifying bacteria? Could I add some new bacteria to the water to aid in consuming the nitrate?

Ok so I have a tennis ball of red macro in the actual tank to help with nitrates.

I wonder if i totally pull the filter pads out if there is enough bacteria in the rock- if not, can I just add a pinch of bacteria every other day or something?

Also I have a carbon pad and a phosphate pad in there. Are these ok?

You can add rubble rock from the established tank and keep the carbon and phosphate pads in there until everything gets stable. Try rinsing the pad first. See how that works. You wont kill off all the bacteria so don't worry.

Ok so I have a tennis ball of red macro in the actual tank to help with nitrates.

I wonder if i totally pull the filter pads out if there is enough bacteria in the rock- if not, can I just add a pinch of bacteria every other day or something?

Also I have a carbon pad and a phosphate pad in there. Are these ok?

It couldn't hurt. Your nitrates are coming from that filter media. Get a handle in that and everything will be fine.

I use pads in both my 90 and 55. You only want the pads to serve as mechanical filters. You really don't want bateria to populate them because the end product is nitrate. I change the pad in my 90 every 3 days and the 55 once a week.

Alright, I got rid of all the pads. NOW I have one double folded blue/white filter pad, one double-folded carbon pad, and one double-folded phosphate pad. I totally cleaned the aqua pure 50 top to bottom, no crud left anywhere. OH-when i pulled those pads--HOLY CRAP, there was a LOT of crap :).

Im mixing up some saltwater now for my water change tomorrow.

Ok I'm wondering if one of my palys is dead. It has stayed open and just doesn't look the same as the other, which closes like a button etc when disturbed. It looks a little wilted and just not as round. Suggestions?

just out of curiousity, do you rinse the pads after folding them. IME(well other people's) if you bend, cut, wring out, or anything else that could possibly release the media from the pads, then you should properly rinse the detached media off of the pad.

JUst had a customer last week that nuked their tank with a carbon pad; they rinsed then cut and the GAC particles were ingested by some of his corals. PO4 pads usually use the white aluminium media...and boy will that stuff F-up a tank.

just food for thought

The one's that I have are very slow growers. Those look ok to me.

Once they get settled in, the tentacles will expand on them as well.

sure enough, i nudge it again, and it closes..lmao. alright, so tell me what do they eat?

They can eat brine and other small foods, but you really don't need to feed them.

Ok so i don't want to post another message-Ill just ask here. My KH is at 12, or 215ppm (approx). tested twice. feedback?

12 isn't bad, if you bump your calcium up a little your KH will come down.

Being a new system I would leave it alone for now.

PH 8.2

calcium 380ppm

phosphate .25

Your phosphate is high, if it is truly .25, check your water source to make sure you are not adding phosphates with your water changes.

Sorry this is the established cube system- rock sand and water transplanted from a members breakdown.

I have typhoon III Extreme rodi and it's 0tds but I'm wondering if the high phosphates are bc I added two cubes of mysis in the last 3 days?

Also I removed the baggie of little phosphate white cylinders from my roommates freshwater filter-I borrowed it to run the little cube, and found my nitrates to be wacky. I gutted filter contents and now just use filter pad carbon pad and anti phosphate pad.

Just make sure to rinse your mysis, and keep running the phosphate pad.

May need to add some GFO in a media bag to help as well.