Omair's Rimless Tank Build

Omair

Hello WAMAS! As some of you can probably see from the WTB/Sell/Trade forum I have to sell my 180 Gallon tank. This is due to family moving into my home and needing the room to accommodate my new guests *grumble*. I do not want to leave the hobby though, I love aquariums and everything involved. As such, I want to start fresh and build a smaller, rimless tank that can house two clowns and some corals. Space is limited, so I will have approximately 4' available to me. I want to post here and ask the community to help me put together plans on building a system on a budget. I hope to use the proceeds from the sale of my larger system for this setup.

I will document my build process and plans here as things progress.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The deep blue looks just like that, but I believe it has the black silicone. There are lots of different ones out there. I have an ADA rimless, its beautiful and well crafted. BTW, never heard of that company.

The deep blue looks just like that, but I believe it has the black silicone. There are lots of different ones out there. I have an ADA rimless, its beautiful and well crafted. BTW, never heard of that company.

How big is your ADA? Where did you purchase it from?

My ADA is similar to a 75, its not quite 48x18x18.. I purchased it from another member. ADA tanks are VERY nice. Im not familiar with anyone locally who sells them. You may have to order one.

My ADA is similar to a 75, its not quite 48x18x18.. I purchased it from another member. ADA tanks are VERY nice. Im not familiar with anyone locally who sells them. You may have to order one.

I would be curious to see how your ADA has come along. Can you post pics? :)

I love my Deep Blue 57G Rimless (3 foot with 1/2" glass)...overflow is a a bit beefy compared to other manufacturers...clear silicon...about $200.

GLA tanks are nice....I have a Mr Aqua tank which is very similar build quality, slightly less quality than ADA but at less cost which I took into account when I decided to drill.

So from what I understand ADA tanks are the top of line as far as build quality is concerned? How do they compare to deep blue?

ADA is one of the premier companys. There are many custom tank builders as well as other high end companies. AGE, Miracles, ELOS etc.. DeepBlue tanks are very nice, very affordable, and not very hard to get. Its my understanding that stores who are dealers of DeepBlue means you dont have to pay the shipping (not 100% on that). Last time I looked into one I was quoted around $400 for the 75g. If im not mistaken Fins & Feathers, BRK and Petland (all vendor emebers) are DeepBlue dealers. Centreville aquarium also carries them.

ADA is one of the premier companys. There are many custom tank builders as well as other high end companies. AGE, Miracles, ELOS etc.. DeepBlue tanks are very nice, very affordable, and not very hard to get. Its my understanding that stores who are dealers of DeepBlue means you dont have to pay the shipping (not 100% on that). Last time I looked into one I was quoted around $400 for the 75g. If im not mistaken Fins & Feathers, BRK and Petland (all vendor emebers) are DeepBlue dealers. Centreville aquarium also carries them.

DeepBlue might be a viable option then. Let me see what I can find.

Just get a regular new 90g and pop the rim off. Now it's rimless. The tank is built the same way.

Haha really? I didn't realize. I thought rimless tanks used thicker reinforced glass along with different silicone bonding material? Interesting.

Generally they are thicker. Also, that top edge may be sharp and jagged and the sides may not line up perfectly. It's not intended to be looked at when they build it. I don't recommend this plan.

Hello folks, a long overdue update: I have decided to go with a custom tank from Jeff H. (NAGA). It is a glass 30x20x20 rimless tank with steel metal stand and a custom sump. I'm VERY excited about this build, NAGA comes highly recommended. Can't wait to get my hands on this tank. He's sent me some pictures of the tank in question, which I have attached below.

post-2632945-132085635465_thumb.jpg

post-2632945-132085636122_thumb.jpg

My only concern about this tank is the lack of overflow "box". Naga mentioned that a simple 90 elbow is sufficient and a overflow box is not needed. My initial concern was loss of livestock if they should swim down the overflow pipe. Does anyone have experience with this? Have you lost fish or is this a safe and viable option? Naga has been using this same method with plenty of fish so I'm assuming it's safe and shouldn't pose a risk to my livestock.

I've seen it, if worried you can always put a strainer on it.

That's what I figured. I will be painting the back of the tank black and the PVC black as well in order the hide the plumbing. Can anyone recommend what paint I should use? I would like to avoid spray paint since I have limited space.

Also, the 90 PVC elbow, should it face up or down in the tank? I would assuming up in order to create suction for the drain correct?