Made my own fish food!

Incredible Corals

After I read all the receipts one of our fellow WAMAS members posted I was inspired to make my own food. So, I convinced Travis and Eric to go in with me on the cost.

The total cost was around $75. Here's a list of the ingredients.

- 2 types of pellets large and small

- nori

- small and jumbo shrimp

- white fish

- cuttlefish

- squid fresh an frozen

- oysters

- clams

- vitamin c

- garlic extract

- crab

- octopus

- 3 types of flake food

- fish roe

- Brine shrimp

- cylopez

- krill

I ended up with 12 lbs of food! If you break it down by cost per oz vs rods food the savings is amazing! Rods food is around $3.33/oz. I was able to make 192 oz which is the equivalent of $640 worth of rods food for $75 and two hours time!

477eaf56-481d-ea32.jpg

477eaf56-482e-dba3.jpg

i see lots of frozen stuff.

I get fresher stuff at the Korean market, and you can get as little as you want. no need to get 12lbs worth of stuff =D

i see lots of frozen stuff.

I get fresher stuff at the Korean market, and you can get as little as you want. no need to get 12lbs worth of stuff =D

All the sea food was for the international market. Only about half was frozen which was cleaned and packed by the market not just some random company like "Tysons". Also not all he food is for me. We each get 4lbs of food to last us a while.

Interesting that you did this. I've been researching various recipes since last week so I can make my own as well. How do your fish and coral like it so far?

Awesome, I love it :)

What consistency did it turn out to be?

I used to make mine the same way. I think it's the best way to feed, and definitely the cheapest. Plus I thought it was kind of fun to make it.

It was interesting for sure. Not sure about fun ;).

I fed the tank again and couldn't believe how much the fish eat now.

Wow i wish i knew I would have joined you guys too. I wanted to find out the process. Is there anyway you can share some. I do not mind paying. Also if anyone is doing it please let me know i would love to chip in and join the party to make our own food.

Wow i wish i knew I would have joined you guys too. I wanted to find out the process. Is there anyway you can share some. I do not mind paying. Also if anyone is doing it please let me know i would love to chip in and join the party to make our own food.

I was thinking about making another batch because so many people want some. The wife wasn't too happy about the smell/mess so I have to weigh the pros/cons ;)

I was thinking about making another batch because so many people want some. The wife wasn't too happy about the smell/mess so I have to weigh the pros/cons ;)

oh yes... the smell... that will make you feel sick lol... at least once it's frozen you don't have that problem anymore.

Count me in for making some, or I was going to ask, since you said you knew how much it would take for $30 instead of $75 worth, could I get those amounts and I could just try myself if the smell is too bad for the wife.