How I got my clownfish to love my BTA

ohaverd

I'm new and want to try to contribute biggrin.gif

So my ocellerus did not like my BTA one bit. In fact, he seemed to just strait up hate it. Well, the only info I could find about trying to get the clown to host with my BTA was to print a picture of a clown in a nem and tape it to the side of the glass, or just give it time. Neither of these worked for me... the picture was stupid and my wife made fun of me sad.gif , I'm not patient enough to wait for the lazy clown to learn! And there was two cleaner shrimp that became way too over protective of the BTA which might be another reason why the clown wont go near it ,so... this is what I did... I went to the LFS and looked for a happy little (cheap) clownfish that was swimming in a nem... After 3 diferent stores, I finally came across a cute little clarki that was all comfi cozi in a RBTA. So I bout the little guy for around 10 bucks, brought him home, QT'd him for a week, then put him in my main tank. the little guy went strait to the BTA, kicked some cleaner shrimp butt and made him self at home. A couple of days later, I wake up one morning and the big Ocellerius and lil clarki were both snuggling up nicely in my BTA. It was a great day!

Anyways, thats what I did. I just bought a trained clown fish to show my knucklheaded clownfish what to do. I wasnt a big fan of the Clarki's yellowish color, so I was planning on taking him back to the LFS or sell/trade him. But he's grown on me, and I think I'll keep him.

So you all probably all ready thought of this, or heard of it or whatever... But I thought I'd share my experience anyways.

Poice!

Although they are stubborn, clowns can be intelligent for a fish. Sometimes you can see the emotions in their actions. From fear, to curiosity, and even learning. Its fun to watch.

If there is a showpiece of my tank, its my black oclaris pair and my 6" RBTA. I love them, it is fun to see them sleeping under the anemone. While one is guarding, playing tag, or sometimes just showing my chromis who runs things! Although my foxface shows great character, the clowns just have an unrivaled cute factor going for them.

So congrats on your success! I challenge you to find a fish you love more! There its always the honeymoon time when I get a new one. The fascination of learning its habits. But hi always go back to the clowns! :laugh: :clap:

Edited by LanglandJoshua

Congrats on getting the two together. That makes about four people I have heard from that have been successful with that method. Thanks for sharing!! Any pictures of the happy pair?

IMHO that is the only way to train a TR clown. Generally we do it using the same species so that you don't have trouble later. We have a tank full of clowns and anemonies just for this reason.

I tried using a picture of a clown in an anemone taped to the glass. It worked with my female as she was in my rbta that night but she was a picasso (like the clown in the pic i used) and my "male" was a b&w. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but he never went in to the nem (idk if she just wouldn't let him in or?)...until he met with an untimely demise. My new male went in the rbta with the female as soon as he was introduced. They're now inseparable.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice story and a solution for me. I didn't know this was an issue with TR'd clowns until I got a pair. They wont go near my anemones. I'm concerned about purchasing a single fish just to get these guys to host. I'd like to find another pair that are hosting and see if these two will follow....