Do any LFS have fish without spots?

PoggiPJ

"not if you have 120,000 + microwatts sterilizing the water that return to the tanks. "

How does a sterilizer kill parasites? I was under the impression that they only killed bacteria.

Kill rate is proportional to wattage, and inversely proportional to flow through the sterilizer.

So you can kill most anything with UV if you have enough wattage and slow enough fow through the sterilizer.

Agree with Saltwaterworx about painting all stores....

On the other hand - Pete, it would be great to see you again. head out to BRK for some burgers and dogs, and get some goodies. I'd hate to see you get out of the hobby. Your tank tour years ago with Eve inspired me (as did the mancave). It was one of the first take tours I did.

Sat, BRK, 4pm -???

Oh, 4PM is too late for me to be in VA - we're due at a Halloween party back in Germantown Sat night and that's about an hour ride one way.

I missed this. Hi Pete! Yes, unfortunately I think you're right. It's bound to happen. Even to the best. Key is really prevention to protect the system and healthy livestock. QT first. A PITA. I know. But saves $$ later. Then there's the exploding heater, the failed pump, the failed backups. the dead fish....if it's not one thing it's another. A routine for water changes, cleaning pumps, checking heaters, etc.are all very important. I feel your frustration, Pete. Been there and still dealing with the after effects.

Yes, once in a tank with infected fish other fish are likely to be infected too. Some infections pass on through inverts too.

If you can't make it for the social at 4:00 why not just stop in earlier in the day? I don't know if John will be open, but Sean at F&F's or MArine scene should be. Send them PM's. Theyll get back to you.

Just where and what time.

What do I mean by "throwing good money after bad"... i think most members here can relate to 1, the freaking magnitude of $ that we invest over time into this hobby for equipment and livestock. and 2, despite all that money spent for vitamins, medications, pumps, backup systems, and backup to backup systems, and quarantining, and nurturing, something is BOUND to happen that negates all of that time, care, and expense. It seems like all I have to do is get at least halfway to wherever I'm going on vacation and somehow, someway, something goes wrong. OK that's enough whining.

I will definitely try the VA stores. I keep hearing good things about "Fins & Feathers" and "Blue Ribbon Koi" livestock. I also heard of a Fins & Feathers in Germantown MD and was wondering if they were affiliated.

Help me understand something - Even if a particular fish or group of fish are captive bred, once they are placed into a tank that shares the same plumbing system aren't they going to acquire the same parasites that are in that system?

Edited by Jan

Saltwaterworx is GREAT! (Sorry I left you out, Wayne, I was thinking of storefront vendors in Montgomery Co.)

Wayne will work with the customer to make sure the customer is happy :clap: He will give you personalized service and will "price match". He will work out transportation with you, so there's no driving for an hour. He will take special orders for things he doesn't ordinarily have in stock. He will hold your special ordered fish for you in QT to make sure they are ok before you take them home. He is honest about the condition of livestock. We did a trade a while back wherein I got 2 purple firefish from him that were already QTed and already a pair. He's got a small school of blue-eye cardinals in QT for me right now which he special ordered for me, and I am positive that they will be just as great as the purple firefish. I would certainly order livestock from Wayne again!

Well, I visited Fins & Feathers today.. I have to say, the fish were clean. I purchased a powder blue, two false percs, and a potters angel. Acclimated them over 2 hours and they're doing fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

:clap: ...worth the trip. Super nice folks. Those fish will be fine.

Well, I visited Fins & Feathers today.. I have to say, the fish were clean. I purchased a powder blue, two false percs, and a potters angel. Acclimated them over 2 hours and they're doing fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

just remember long term... pathogens can be introduced through nearly every specimen you add to your tank. IE snails, new fish, echinos, live rock , live sand, coral with ANY substrate(cc, arag, ceramic, rubble, shell). the main thing is to maintain proper water chemistry, which is somewhat challenging given the unrelaible accuracy of some fundamental tests especially kH. make sure that you are always testing your tests against a calibration standard when things don't look right and test kits say other wise. Also, i think running your fuge in reverse light cycle will have added benefits like a more steady pH w/o alot of chemicals.

LMK if you have any ?'s

Sean

Where is Saltwaterworx located. I cant find an address to stop by and take a look. Or is it just delivery? I guess the question is do you get to see the fish first? Oh nevermind. I see its in Waldorf. My bad.

Edited by CaptainMorgan

He does not have a physical store. He will work out transport with you - I just meet him somewhere in between locations, but he has been known to deliver to a person's home... I guess it depends on the location.

Oh. So if he has sick fish you just don't see em. But you also don't get to see the fish you are buying either. So not really a lfs. just defending the others. I got it.

He is a vendor that has a tank maintenance business. He brings in fish to support that business and also provides them for sale to local hobbyist. No, he doesn't have a store currently but I think he mentioned he is working on setting one up. If you order fish online you get basically the same thing, a sight unseen purchase. I'm sure he could send you pictures of WYSIWYG, just ask. If you need to physically see your fish before a purchase then a brick and mortor fish store is what you require. It all depends on your individual wants and needs.

just remember long term... pathogens can be introduced through nearly every specimen you add to your tank. IE snails, new fish, echinos, live rock , live sand, coral with ANY substrate(cc, arag, ceramic, rubble, shell). the main thing is to maintain proper water chemistry, which is somewhat challenging given the unrelaible accuracy of some fundamental tests especially kH. make sure that you are always testing your tests against a calibration standard when things don't look right and test kits say other wise. Also, i think running your fuge in reverse light cycle will have added benefits like a more steady pH w/o alot of chemicals.

LMK if you have any ?'s

Sean

All very good advice!!

Oh. So if he has sick fish you just don't see em. But you also don't get to see the fish you are buying either. So not really a lfs. just defending the others. I got it.

He isn't going to make you take a sick fish. It's not like these big online vendors that have huge vats of hundreds of fish where they can't really keep a good eye on them. If you order fish just ask him to hold them a while to make sure they are healthy. If any die while he has them, or is sick when you want to take it home, I'm sure he will refund the money or get another fish. On the same token, if he holds them a couple weeks and they are fine, but they get sick after you put them in your tank, it's probably something wrong at your end not his.