Apex Issue

xyrophobic

I have an Apex system with two EB8s a PM2 and lunar sim. I have been getting intermittent alarms that trigger the low temp statement. It seems, by looking at the alarm email, that I am loosing power for a split second which makes the temp zero out and start climbing again. The whole issue is not even noticeable if you happen to be in the room and staring at the system. I do have a home made breakout box (short din cable cut and screwed into a radioshack connection block) which is connected to 5 float sensors in assorted locations. Everything is new (less than 3 months) and the floats are installed in a way that keeps the dry sections from getting wet.

I have not had a chance to upgrade to the newest firmware but the system did have the most recent a month ago and the issue existed then. I was hoping someone may have heard of something like this and may have some insight. My next step is to contact Neptune support and or try to run the system with the without the breakout to see if it is a random ground / noise issue. I am looking forward to running without the floats as I will have to figure out a new method of ATO while it is down. I am pretty confident of my wiring ability so I do not think I did that wrong though I wonder if I should connect the din cable shield to the common pin of the breakout.

Any ideas from the automation experts?

alarm snippet:

Alarm Statement: If Temp < 77.0 Then ON

Oct 20 2011 09:37:38

Temp pH ORP

79.0 7.93 0

Cond

VarSpd1_I1 is OFF Manual

VarSpd2_I2 is OFF Manual

VarSpd3_I3 is OFF Manual

VarSpd4_I4 is OFF Manual

SndAlm_I6 is OFF Auto

SndWrn_I7 is OFF Auto

EmailAlm_I5 is OFF Auto

Power Failed: Oct 20 2011 09:36:03

Power Restored: Oct 20 2011 09:36:40

Power OK: EB8_3 (0 Days 00:00 - 5.7 Amps)

Power OK: EB8_4 (0 Days 00:00 - 1.8 Amps)

Edited by xyrophobic

It looks like the power went out for 37 seconds which is not a "split second" as you mentioned. Is the power really cutting out for that long or is there a loose connection or plug for the unit? Can you list your whole program so we can see the big picture?

I just two weeks ago had a similar issue and ended up having to send the unit to Apex. It ended up being a blown integrated circuit.

Darrell

(edited)

It looks like the power went out for 37 seconds which is not a "split second" as you mentioned. Is the power really cutting out for that long or is there a loose connection or plug for the unit? Can you list your whole program so we can see the big picture?

True it is for less that a minute but there is no noticeable power loss. All devices continue to run, lights on the EBs stay on. Only thing that you can see is the display shows the temp/ ph drop to near zero and begin climbing again as well as the alarm beep. I also have tried using a power brick on the base unit. Everything is working correctly except for the annoying messages / alarms which come as often as every 10 mins to weeks apart.

Attached is the program.xml

full snippet:

Alarm Statement: If Temp < 77.0 Then ON

Oct 20 2011 11:10:13

Temp pH ORP

75.3 7.52 22

Cond

VarSpd1_I1 is OFF Manual

VarSpd2_I2 is OFF Manual

VarSpd3_I3 is OFF Manual

VarSpd4_I4 is OFF Manual

SndAlm_I6 is OFF Auto

SndWrn_I7 is OFF Auto

EmailAlm_I5 is ON Auto

actinic is ON Auto

daylight is OFF Auto

mp10_circ is ON Auto

blank_3_4 is OFF Manual

return_pump is ON Auto

reactors is ON Auto

heater is ON Auto

topoff_p is OFF Auto

QT_light is ON Auto

mix_tank is OFF Manual

air is OFF Manual

ref_light is ON Auto

QT_heat is OFF Manual

QT_tank is ON Auto

skimmer is ON Auto

ref_pump is OFF Manual

sump_add is OFF Auto

RO_low is OFF Auto

RO_high is OFF Auto

blank_A4 is OFF Manual

sump_low is OFF Auto

sump_high is OFF Auto

blank_A7 is OFF Manual

auto_feed is OFF Auto

Lunar is OFF Auto

Power Failed: Oct 20 2011 11:08:55

Power Restored: Oct 20 2011 11:09:33

program.xml

Edited by xyrophobic

If you are not truely losing the power supply to the unit but it is acting that way, and based on what HDreef mentioned, I would contact Neptune to see what they say. It sounds like it needs to be repaired.

If you have a UPS unit at home plug the Apex into that and see if you still get these messages. The UPS should prevent the short power loses if there are indeed any. If the unit still acts the same way then it pretty much shows that the unit needs to be fixed.

I find it interesting that in the two example you posted the time out is 37 and 38 seconds... don't know what is causing it... but it appears to be consistent.

Neptune has had me upgrade the firmware, quite standard. I will see if that works. Chad it does seem odd that it is relatively the same amount of time but in the 15 alarms I received today it has a range from 15 secs to close to 60 secs, I just happened to post two in the median.

My Apex was doinging some weird things like you were saying. I sent it back and they fixed it. Be very careful with DIY projects and connecting to Apex they can easily lead to problems.

Mine started to act funny after we had a power outage. Nothing major just some trouble saving programs and adding outlets. Also my display went blank. I am a little disappointed in the quality of the Apex. I have had it since march and have send stuff to get fixed twice. For a $500 USA made, I expected better.

After the firmware upgrade to 4.11, I have had no false alarms or phantom power outages. Makes me wonder if they have something faulty and just programmed the system to ignore the "noisy" hardware issues. I hope that I do not run into the issues others seem to have that require replacement/repair.