Stupid Damsel

Guest Keyoke

Guest Keyoke

I'm just venting here.. because I'm awfully mad at this (insert favorite explicitave here).

I was lucky enough to get a frag of Xenia from Emissary last night (thanks again em!) and my yellow-striped damsel is eating it.

Keeps pecking at it, it's eaten an entire head now.... I hate this fish. Every time I walk up to the tank, it starts dancing around and getting right up in my face, asking for food.. it was cute at first, because it'd eat flake right out of my fingers..

Darn fish won't eat anything but Tetra flakes and frozen brine... and now Xenia.. heck even the bristle worms don't like tetra freshwater tropical flake... not that they get much of a chance, the flippin damsel rarely lets anything hit the substrate.

Normally I wouldn't have a damsel in the tank, but I was attempting to liberate a yellow chromis from petco and didn't check the bag (just handed it to my daughter to carry in her "shopping cart that is just perfect for me" - she's 3, and wrestling with a 18mo old). When I'd gotten home I figured what the heck.. :angry:

I spent the morning trying to catch it, but it keeps going into little holes in the rock... fast little bugger too... if it wouldn't kill everything else off, I'd drop a cyanide tablet into the tank and let it do it's magic.. I hate this fish.

Gaaaah.

Well, as you know there's more Xenia where that came from if you need it. As for the little guy.. well it's probably too late now but most of my fish aren't scared of the net. Some eat directly out of it. I always feed from the net.

Guest alex wlazlak

i have a yellow tail damsel in my 55 which i only tryd to get out once, but it would stress the other fellas out too much to even try and get him out!anyone know how to get one out?

WAIT A MINUTE!

YOU got a Damsel that EATS Xenia's!

I'll give you a $100.00 Bucks for him now! :P

Their over running my 10g tank!

Howard

Guest Keyoke
WAIT A MINUTE!

YOU got a Damsel that EATS Xenia's!

I'll give you a $100.00 Bucks for him now!  :P

Their over running my 10g tank!

Howard

33131[/snapback]

SOLD! ;) Seriously though, if you want 'im, you can have him...

Guest Keyoke

So I fed the flipping damsel, then took the kids out this evening to the park. We had a grea time, stopped at Taco Bell, ate in the park, played, then took a walk thru this path in the woods.. We spent about 3 hours havin a grand time. Great way to tire 'em out and get them to go to sleep w/o fighting with 'em..

I get back? Xenia is in two peices now. Darn damsel went to TOWN on one peice, nuttin but the babies left, and they're limp and barely pulsing. The larger peice had been actually picked up and moved to the other side of the tank from where it was at, and it's attached to a snail shell! I watched the damsel go after it for about an hour or so, then got fed up and grabbed the net again.

No luck. I'm going to have to tear down I just know I am. I moved the xenia into my fuge, now the darn damsel is checking out my shrooms... it had better NOT touch 'em...

I've never seen a damsel act this way.. it's gone crazy.

Guest Keyoke
Hi Keyoke

How big is your tank?, i've got a perspex Fish Trap you can borrow to catch the offending damsel if you want, i'm in Manassas

LMK

Anton

33151[/snapback]

Really? I'm in manassas too.. might have to take you up on that. The tank is a 90G...

I also have a large universal DIY reef trap you are welcome to borrow.

Don't feed the tank for a few days prior to trapping.

I'm in McLean

On a side note:

I'll pay the $10.00 for HOWARD if the fish is actually eating healthy tissue.

I suspect that the xenia is actually "melting" away and the damsel is simply cleaning up as a result.

This is a very common occurance with xenia in a new enviornment.

If the xenia appears to be shrinking this is what is happening

I'm so confident, I'll get HOWARD to wear a skirt to the next WAMAS meeting if I'm wrong. :D

I'm so confident, I'll get HOWARD to wear a skirt to the next WAMAS meeting if I'm wrong.  :D

33158[/snapback]

hey chip you should of shot for something that howard doesn't want to do :lol:

I suspect that the xenia is actually  "melting" away and the damsel is simply cleaning up as a result.

I dunno. I can't kill this particular strain of Xenia. I mean I've just about sat on the stuff, thrown it in a variety of tanks here and there, no lights, some lights, etc, and it's unstoppable. I hope you look good in a skirt. :)

Guest Keyoke
I also have a large universal DIY reef trap you are welcome to borrow.

Don't feed the tank for a few days prior to trapping.

I'm in McLean

On a side note:

I'll pay the $10.00 for HOWARD if the fish is actually eating healthy tissue.

I suspect that the xenia is actually  "melting" away and the damsel is simply cleaning up as a result.

I'm so confident, I'll get HOWARD to wear a skirt to the next WAMAS meeting if I'm wrong.  :D

33158[/snapback]

well, I would agree with you, if the Xenia continued to deteriorate.. however now that its in my fuge, it's expanded, and it appears to be doing rather well, if a bit less 'full' expansion wise than when in emissary's tank.

the fuge is under a single NO 10k bulb tho, and there is a LOT less water movement tho, so that is to be expected I think.

Guest Keyoke

33158[/snapback]

Hear that Howard? Your wearing a skirt to the next meeting.

The Xenia in the sump/Fuge is doing awesome, it's actually spreading and I'm wondering if this stuff is the reef equivilant to crab grass..

So, I figured what the heck and moved a bit of unattached xenia (attached to a peice of rubble) into the display tank, just to see.. Note that I did not 'cut' this frag, it was a bout two stalks that had actually split off and attached to the rubble.

20 minutes later, the rock is bare, and the Damsel is fat & happy.

So, I've decided to start a business:

Do you suffer from a Xenia infestation, and can't seem to get it under control? Did the pulsing you once thought was so neat, now look like the fronds are constantly flipping a stalk full of middle fingers in your direction?

Finally there's an answer to your problem. Keyoke's Xenia Reduction Service is a totally non-invasive way to rid yourself of that pesky Xenia problem. It's a safe, and 100% natural way to keep your Xenia in check.

The cleaning process involves adding a small, 2" fish to your tank that feeds on the Xenia. After about a week, your problems should be nothing but a memory. Once the Xenia has been gotten under control, just return the fish back to Keyoke.

Quick and easy Xenia control, without long term commitments or worrying about what to do with the fish after the Xenia is gone.

Act now and recieve a special, introductory price - only $20 a week, or 1 good frag and your Xenia problems will be gone.

Offer good through 7/1/05, price subject to change based upon availability. Keyoke is not responsible for the loss, stress, or other detrimental affects to tank or livestock. Loss of "Xenia Cleaning Fish" will result in an additional $20 surcharge. Additional rules or regulations may apply. Please contact Keyoke's Xenia Reduction Service for additional details.

:)

Guest alex wlazlak

hey emissary. do you have the 180 set up yet? thats cool what you did with putting the tile down and all, did you do all of the work on your link yourself?thats cool if ya did..i wanna get a 90 soon..but first many many things needed for the 55 first :unsure:

Guest tburrs

I too am having damsel problems... I have a three striped damsel that has been in a 30 gallon for about 4 years. I'm in the process of setting up a 120 gallon tank and I'm very nervous about moving him to the new tank. He terroizes every fish I try adding, which eventually results in their death. The LAST thing I want is for him to claim the entire new tank as his, but I have a feeling it may happen. Do you all agree? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!

Travis

I would not put him in the 120 if you are having problems with him. You will have a real hard time getting him out of the 120. Take him back to the LFS or give trade him to someone who will want it.

I too am having damsel problems...  I have a three striped damsel that has been in a 30 gallon for about 4 years.  I'm in the process of setting up a 120 gallon tank and I'm very nervous about moving him to the new tank.  He terroizes every fish I try adding, which eventually results in their death.  The LAST thing I want is for him to claim the entire new tank as his, but I have a feeling it may happen.  Do you all agree?  Suggestions?  Advice?

Thanks!

Travis

33603[/snapback]

Guest Keyoke
Hey Keyoke

Did you catch that Damsel yet?

Anton

33602[/snapback]

No, I gotta borrow a fish trap from someone.. IIRC there are a few people who offered one, I just haven't been home long enough to do anything about him. I've been on the road for work for the last 2 weeks now, home only on the weekends.

Interestingly though, my kids & wife got me a Scopas (found him at TRT!) for Fathers Day, and the damsel leaves him alone. He leaves the Scooter alone too actually, tho I wonder if it's just because the Damsel knows that both fish (scooter blenny, scopas tang) don't compete for the same kinds of food.

Guest Siders

Anyone in the springfield area got a fish trap? I have a yellow tailed damsel and he doesn't let my royal gramma feed that much. And how do you go about giving a fish back to the fish store? Like bagging and who to give it too. Thanks

I don't have a trap but don't brin gyour fish to the reef tank. They won't give you anything for it. I know Marine scene has set days when you can bring stuff in. Might want to call them. I believe they will give you whole sale for your fish. The centerville store give you like 10% off you next fish purchase. Not much but better than a poke in the eye.

I made a trap but you have to be there to catch the fish. Not the greatest thing.

Anyone in the springfield area got a fish trap? I have a yellow tailed damsel and he doesn't let my royal gramma feed that much. And how do you go about giving a fish back to the fish store? Like bagging and who to give it too. Thanks

33656[/snapback]

Guest Siders

I paid 8 bucks for this pain in the arse and plan on getting rid of it somehow. Even if i get nothing for it. But thanks I appreciate the response. I think I will take it to the reef tank today. Thanks, Siders